- Product Design
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Our philosophy remains the same as it was 25 years ago when James Dyson invented the first cyclonic vacuum cleaner. We remain family owned. We don’t bow to outside shareholders or report to the stock exchange. Instead, we plot our own path, unshackled from conventional thinking.
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
About the roleReporting to the Floorcare Category Director, the Design Manager will be responsible for defining, developing and delivering products within the global Floorcare category. A key collaborator and influencer throughout the global cross team and wider business, the Design Manager is pivotal in inspiring, energising and managing the global development and execution of projects across RDD, Operations and Commercial to extremely challenging timelines.
• Focal point of the project - recognised as a global point contact, driving progress and decisions on the project.
• Demonstrates an exemplary level of passion, energy and commitment to develop and deliver products, to specification, cost and quality that enable us to achieve our range plan
• Collaborates with, influences and supports the Research and NPI teams, playing an active role in setting vision specifications and product requirements, and delivering DV and TS milestones to plan
• Project transitions – drive collaboration across global teams to ensure efficient project transitions from NPI and to MDC, using the governance structure to manage resolution and drive accountability
• Escalate - the right issues at the right time via an appropriate method. Understands when to form an ad-hoc cross team and set tactical meetings to escalate proposals with clear content and direction to the Category Director
• Commercial direction - influence Commercial direction regarding product understanding, creative, claims, retail and launch
• Operational direction - influence direction regarding production engineering, critical quality and procurement strategy, manufacturing execution and supply chain planning.
• Insights and data - influence research, user, insights and engineering home trials. Proposes when and how trials can be executed to resolve critical to product and customer questions through efficient execution
• Change culture - champions a change culture inside and outside of Category. Regularly and proactively improves cross team ways of working both internal and external to RDD.
• Risk - anticipates risk and drives a culture of anticipating risk
• Intellectual property and Legal - Maintains an active involvement in assessing and escalating potential exposure to Dyson on behalf of Floorcare
• Globally mobile - to support category activity i.e., off sites, trials, critical review, product launch and in-market activities
About youSkills & Experience
• Delivery - a natural leader with a well-developed knowledge and understanding of engineering and consumer products. A proven track record in managing technical programs and delivering complex projects to time, specification, cost and quality. Dedicated, dynamic, data driven, numerate and prepared to do what it takes to get the job done
• Delivery through others – Influence, collaborate with, and align multiple disciplines e.g., mechanical, electrical, power systems, digital motors, software, user interface, visual design and packaging to drive the product vision and facilitate delivery.
• Leader - strong leadership background, with previous experience of managing and motivating a large global team, consistently achieving stretched targets to high standards.
• Full design cycle experience - has played a key role in projects from early concept to start of production, global experience of site-to-site project transfers.
• Broad technical knowledge - experience of software, app development, mechanical, electrical, motor and battery integration into a robust systems architecture.
• Manufacturing and operational knowledge - strong manufacturing assembly experience including tolerance and dimensional stability, build standards and change control.
• 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
• Pension scheme
• Performance related bonus
• Private medical insurance
• Life assurance
• Sport centre
• Free on-site parking
• Subsidised café and restaurants
• Discounts on Dyson machines#LI-DYSON
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.