- Operational Engineering
- United Kingdom - Bristol Office
Dyson is a place like no other, encouraging people to think differently, to challenge convention and to make mistakes in their problem-solving journey. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and unlike others we see problems as opportunities to learn and invent the right solution. We remain enthusiastic and focused whatever the issues we are facing because we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop market leading products for the global market. By working in our world-class research, design and development (RDD) department, these individuals can work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
About the role
You will work in our New Product Innovation Software Team (NST) which is effectively a prototyping team, responsible for ensuring the software solutions for our next generation of products and technologies are properly explored, tested, and refined in readiness to transition to the development teams. We explore the proposition and technology by developing proof of concept integrations and systems. We ensure we use the right technologies and services, evaluate their security, apply the right techniques and demonstrate the result to stakeholders on our own hardware prototypes.
The Electronics Technician is responsible for a wide variety of electronics assembly and test tasks to support current and future Dyson products alongside software and electronics engineers to validate and improve the prototypes. They will be in charge of keeping our Bristol lab tidy, looking after the tools and electronic supplies. The technician will be responsible for managing their tasks within our Agile framework from planning with the team to completion. Good communication skills and a strong team spirit are both important qualities.
- As lab owner and manager you will manage lab logistics, maintain a tidy, safe and convenient workplace, look after stock and procurement for all lab equipment and prototyping components, develop a lightweight process for the wider team to follow.
- Develop and increase the capabilities of the lab over time to make it a more resourceful asset.
- Take charge of all H&S and fire safety requirements.
- Use Atlassian tools (JIRA, Confluence) to create and track work packages as well as relevant documentation. Use Git and Bitbucket for version control.
- Assembly and rework of prototype PCB boards using both through hole and SMD components (regularly down to 0201 size) from a BoM and from specification
- Ability to design and build prototype wire harnesses (in low volume) and fit them to test rigs and products.
- Designing and building basic electronic circuits including integrating off-the-shelf components and evaluation kits into a wider system e.g. for testing and evaluating electronic designs.
- Place component orders for prototype assembly work within the Electronics group advising and supporting others.
- Develop software solutions to enable testing or aid prototype development.
- Recording and analysis of test results to present to senior colleagues.
Skills and experience
- Minimum HND/HNC level of electronics knowledge (or equivalent experience).
- Soldering experience (SMD desirable).
- Knowledge of key electronic components including MCUs and other types of ICs.
- Ability to read and understand mechanical and electronic schematics & assembly drawings.
- Experience of using lab equipment and tools such as power supplies, oscilloscopes etc.
- A passion for learning or the ability to develop software solutions typically with Python, C, Raspberry Pi and Arduinos.
- Experience with electronics design software like Altium 360.
- Previous experience in similar roles is advantageous but not essential.
- Experience with Atlassian tools or similar.
- Experience with CAD software and small-scale 3D printers.
- An understanding of embedded software systems.
- Basic understanding of technologies such as Bluetooth (Classic & Low Energy), Wi-Fi, Serial communication (UART, I2C, SPI, CAN), PWM, ADC and DAC.
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.