- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic, but most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. We are looking for individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals work alongside other leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
Dyson products strive to be at the leading edge of technology. Through unique strategic partnerships with global top universities and leading businesses, we gain foresight of up and coming technologies. The Technical Research team aims to exploit this knowledge to design state-of-the-art products, allowing us to differentiate from the competition. A successful applicant be part of the team designing the next generation of electronic systems for our products.
About the roleThe embedded electronics role will involve:
- A balance of electronic hardware design combined with embedded software.
- Producing schematic and PCB layouts.
- Producing detailed hardware designs (both analogue and digital hardware) and simulating key elements of a design to optimise.
- Building demonstration rigs to convey ideas to others.
- Producing embedded software on microcontroller systems
- Ensuring designs comply with relevant EMC/EMI standards and modifying design where needed to ensure compliance.
- Reviewing relevant papers and patents and meet companies to keep informed of emerging technologies.
- Working on multiple, small concurrent projects; supported by several team members all reporting to the Senior Research Manager for the team.
- Collaborating with different product teams to gain an in-depth product understanding, whilst using knowledge of the latest technologies to create innovative electronic systems and solutions.
- Develop the concept, proving key technologies and demonstrating the system feasibility.
- Produce clear, well written documentation prior to handover to the development teams.
- Demonstrate designs are robust, cost effective and fit for purpose for a high-volume manufacture environment, through detailed laboratory testing, simulation and analysis.
About youEducation and experience:
BEng/MEng degree (or equivalent) in Electronic Engineering, or other relevant discipline, or a demonstrable level of industrial experience in a relevant industry.
Applicants should ideally have experience in the following areas:
Digital hardware design:
- Excellent general knowledge of microcontrollers and microprocessor technologies, preferably including ARM Cortex M series.
- Working knowledge of a wide range of serial interfaces (e.g. I2C, SPI, UART, USB, I2S).
- Knowledge of memory devices (e.g. NAND, NOR, DDR etc.) is desirable.
- Experience of analogue amplification and signal conditioning circuitry.
- Design of Op-Amp stages such as differential amplifiers, integrators etc.
- Experience of C/C++ programming for embedded systems.
- Use of Matlab or Python for data acquisition and analysis.
- Digital signal processing experience.
- Schematic capture using Altium Designer, Mentor Graphics or other mainstream tools.
- Use of SPICE based simulation tools such as Simetrix and LTspice.
- Circuit simulation and design tolerance analysis.
- Robust design including FMEA techniques.
- Good quality engineering process understanding and appreciation.
- PCB layout – size/cost minimisation while achieving layouts for inherently good EMC compliance and thermal design.
- Experience of working in a laboratory environment.
- Use of lab equipment to set up experiments and to take precise measurements.
- Passionate about Engineering; how it can be applied to create ideas and solve problems.
- Able to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values.
- Drive project tasks forward and using initiative to ensure delivery of assigned tasks.
- Good analytical ability and attention to detail.
- Effective communication skills: appropriate, concise and accurate in written and verbal format to engineers and others.
- Excellent time management skills; able to prioritise tasks and plan effectively.
- Collaborative team working skills.
- Ability to build, test and modify prototypes accurately, safely and with minimal supervision.
27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
Performance related bonus
Private medical insurance
Free on-site parking
Subsidised café and restaurants
Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.