- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Bristol Office
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas –unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
Our Software team develops app integration and ensures connectivity in our machines. We’re now leading the way in creating software for connected technology and a more intuitive owner experience.
The New Product Innovation Software Team (NST) is responsible for ensuring the next generation of both connected and non-connected products and technologies are properly explored, tested and refined in readiness to transition to the team responsible for delivering our novel solutions. This includes ensuring we investigate and utilise the right technologies, techniques, services and security. Core to this is exploring the proposition and technology by developing proof of concept integrations and systems.
About The Role
The Embedded Software Engineer will use their expertise and passion for technology to work with a multi-disciplinary team of including mobile and cloud developers, app and product UX/UI designers, electronics and mechanical engineers, researching and developing the next generation of IoT solutions for future products at Dyson. You must be independent and methodical with excellent problem-solving skills. It is essential to be knowledgeable about the latest trends in embedded systems, connectivity and mobile technology and comfortable with rapidly picking up new technologies. A thirst to overcome problems and limitations in order to reach our vision is essential. You should be comfortable with rapid prototyping of electronic hardware, investigating and evaluating new and emerging technologies, protocols and digital platforms. You should be able to produce clear and concise reports and presentations communicating your research and demonstrating your solutions.
- Excellent programming skills with C / C++ experience, preferably on embedded platforms.
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python or Ruby.
- Flexible and dynamic approach to development, with the ability to adopt new concepts, languages and techniques quickly and then convey the benefits to others.
- Understanding of embedded systems design and integration.
- Embedded experience working with different microcontrollers and platforms (e.g. ARM, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Linux and RTOS environments).
- Good software and rapid prototyping experience.
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas simply.
- Good understanding and experience of application development practices.
- Electronic circuit design experience.
- Knowledge of IoT protocols (Wi-Fi, ZigBee, Thread, Bluetooth Classic, Bluetooth Low Energy, MQTT etc).
- Track record of working with 3rd parties to explore technology.
- Proven track record of developing robust requirements specifications.
- Experience of Software Defined Radio.
- Experience of mathematical/modelling software such as MATLAB, R or Octave.
- Experience with board ‘bring-up’.
- Experience of developing proof-of-concept embedded prototypes to an accelerated timescale.
- Experience of integrating solutions with cloud and web services for data interchange and synchronisation.
- Experience of connectivity technologies, including Wi-Fi, BLE and cellular.
- Experience of developing systems that use messaging services to communicate.
- A strong understanding of/ability to define and prototype the hardware solutions that will benefit most from connectivity.
- Programming for resource constrained devices.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- City centre location
- Discounts on Dyson machines
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.