- Starting salary will be based on experience and credentials
- Chicago - USA
About the roleOur Americas Legal team seeks an experienced attorney with strong expertise in employment law. This role requires a technically excellent and pro-active lawyer to provide employment law advice to Dyson’s Americas HR function. This is a role with high responsibility and that provides an excellent opportunity to develop your skills and contribution as part of a dynamic and ambitious in-house legal team. This Senior Counsel position will be dedicated to providing legal support including, but not limited to, day-to-day employment counselling on a wide variety of matters, wage and hour compliance support, benefits support, and risk management guidance.
The ability to develop and maintain positive and effective relationships with business partners at all levels across the enterprise as well as with colleagues on the Legal team is a must. Ideal candidates for this role will have in-house or law firm experience supporting consumer products and/or retail clients, strong business acumen, excellent counselling skills, the ability to take a strategic and business-focused approach to complex employment issues and an entrepreneurial mindset. This position will afford invaluable experience and opportunity for growth within a fast-paced and dynamic organization.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Develop the position of the employment law function within the Americas as a strategic adviser, building engagement with the HR leadership team and business partners
- Provide expert, ethical and pragmatic advice on a wide range of employee relations matters, including disciplinary issues, benefits and policy compliance
- Proactively identify arising risk areas and work with the business to develop risk mitigation solutions
- Manage all formal and informal employment related claims and litigation
- Develop and deliver necessary legal training to the business
- Support HR policy development and roll out and create and maintain relevant precedents
- Draft and negotiate employment contracts and settlement agreements
- Ensure awareness and compliance with federal, state and local labor and employment laws throughout the Americas Region
- Manage external counsel where appropriate, ensuring compliance with Dyson’s cost management processes
- Minimum of 5 years of employment law experience at a law firm or in-house required; a combination of law firm and in-house experience strongly preferred
- A sound understanding of all aspects of employment law and an ability to apply that knowledge pragmatically in a commercial environment
- Excellent communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills
- Experience of managing matters with a cross border and foreign jurisdiction element, and managing external legal counsel
- Good awareness of the role of Legal in business decisions and the ability to actively contribute in the taking of those decisions
- Confidence and technical ability to be able to deal with issues outside your experience and the ability to learn quickly on the job
- Evidence of being a self-starter who is good at identifying problems and proactively remedying them, and who demonstrates professionalism, pride and integrity in all aspects of your work
- An ability to work successfully with a minimum level of supervision in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment
- Experience in developing policies and procedures for ensuring corporate compliance required
- High degree of organizational and time management skills, with a proven ability to manage multiple, complex projects when necessary
- Highest degree of ethical standards
- Must be able to travel domestically and internationally as required
BenefitsAt Dyson, how we reward you is linked to our high-performance culture. But it’s about more than salary and bonus. Through a package of financial, lifestyle and health benefits, we support whatever stage of life you’re in and the moments that matter.
- 401K with up to a 4% match
- Company paid Life Insurance and AD&D
- Flexible Savings Account (FSA) and Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Competitive Paid Time Off Benefits including Separate Holiday, Sick, and Vacation Time
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefits (applicable areas only)
- Generous Child Care Leave Program
- Wellness Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Generous Dyson Product Discounts
- Multi-Level Healthcare Coverage Options
- Vision & Dental Coverage
- Company paid Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
Dyson is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live. If requested, we will provide reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process for persons with disabilities. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Dyson is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.