- Design and Development
- Singapore - Technology Centre
From its origins in a small workshop in rural England, Dyson has grown into a technology company with a global footprint. We have offices from Auckland to Zurich, via Singapore, Moscow and Chicago. While engineering remains at our core, our passion for problem solving across different disciplines runs throughout our business. We're a diverse workforce made up of people with different Dyson behaviours.
Our philosophy remains the same as it was 25 years ago when James Dyson invented the first cyclonic vacuum cleaner. We remain family-owned. We don’t bow to outside shareholders or report to the stock exchange. Instead, we plot our own path, unshackled from conventional thinking.
Dyson people are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical, enthusiastic and resourceful. However, most of all we’re passionate about what we do.
About the role
This role is part of the Battery Pack Development team and responsible to deliver battery pack solution that meets with product specifications and requirements. A successful candidate will have the communication skills to translate technical feedback whilst working in a culturally diverse team to translate physical requirements into design prototypes and production object.
Reporting to the Design Engineering Manager, the role will encompass Thermal and Mechanical System Design responsibilities, Object creation and technical communications.
- Develop, improve, or optimize thermal system design solution for battery pack, while ensuring compliance against safety, functionality, performance, manufacturability, and cost requirements
- Integrate thermal design solution with other components in the battery pack
- Build prototypes and tooling/jigs to support verification and validation of the design solution
- Implement lab-based testing of components or systems and develop associates test method
- Perform Design for Manufacturing activities to support manufacturing and production of the part / components, as well as production of the battery pack
- Work together with people within Energy Storage Development and across different department to bring design into production
- Generate Mechanical design information for Energy Storage Development, including escalating any significant recommendations or incidents, and advise the team on risk and mitigations.
- Build and manage relationships with internal departments, across different departments, external suppliers, and industry bodies.
- Provide clear presentation of technical information and supporting documentation to ensure accurate information for other teams within the UK or Far East.
- Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously enhance efficiency.
- Ability to work sensitively, discretely, and effectively across Dyson.
- 5+ years of experience as Mechanical Engineer or equivalent specialized in thermal system design and analysis.
- Fluency in off-the-shelf numerical software package for thermal system design and analysis, preferably from ANSYS family.
- Experience in performing laboratory or full-scale testing of a prototype / product to verify and validate thermal design requirements.
- Well versed in 3-D modelling and creation of 2-D drawing with commercial CAD Software
- Strong understanding of thermal and mechanical systems design practice.
- Familiar with Design for Manufacturing concept and activities
- Highly motivated and independent with persistent approach to problem solving
- Delivery team experience.
- Strong organisational skills with a methodical and detailed approach.
- Willing to be stationed in Dyson’s newest facility in Tuas
- Willing to travel between Dyson’s facilities in Asia/UK for project collaboration, when required
- Candidates with experience working in Thermal Safety and Performance of a Cell, Battery Module or Pack will have an advantage
- Appreciation of relevant Battery technology or battery products across the industry.
- Appreciation of the fundamentals of software tools for development – LabVIEW/ Python
Dyson Singapore monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and bonuses. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy a transport allowance and comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition. #LI-DYSON
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.