- Singapore - Singapore
About the roleDyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals for a permanent Senior Engineering Manager position based in its Research, Design and Development (RDD) function in Singapore as part of the Motor Drives and Advanced Control (MDAC) Team.
The MDAC team is part of Dyson’s Global Hardware organisation and brings together deep, specialist knowledge and skill-sets to design and develop control algorithms and electromagnetic designs for use across a wide range of Dyson products. This is a global team with over 70 engineers based in the UK, Singapore, Malaysia and the Philippines. Examples of the work of MDAC include the electromagnetic and control system design of the Dyson Digital Motor, wide-ranging motion control schemes utilising commercial motors, heater control schemes and more specialist control systems and algorithms such as power control, battery pack state of charge and state of health. The team works from early development through to the production of our designs.
This critical role is for the South East Asia Senior Engineering Manager for the MDAC team with the responsibility for the day to day management of the SEA region of the team. This involves providing technical leadership, stakeholder management, integrated project planning, resource management, prioritisation and in-time-zone triage of any issues or problems that may arise. People line-management, coaching and mentorship are also part of the role. This position works alongside the UK Senior Engineering Manager and reports directly to the Head of Department.
- Ability to lead and manage the Motor Drives and Advanced Control team in South East Asia to ensure successful innovation and project delivery by upholding Dyson’s high performance culture.
- Provide confident, capable leadership in a matrix structure; drive project execution and delivery while reinforcing the need for functional excellence. Work alongside global functional leaders for advanced development of Dyson Digital Motors and other consumer actuation systems, system testing and compliance and approvals to increase Dyson’s product delivery while continuously improving the product performance and behaviours without compromising on Dyson’s best in class visual, dimensions and design.
- Facilitate in shaping the innovation and execution processes. Lead the assessment, development, and continuous improvement and sustaining activities for business continuity.
- Provide strong communication skills with the ability to clearly communicate project status and negotiate with stakeholders at all levels within the business.
- Provide functional leadership and coaching for specialist and generalist engineers leading technology development activities feeding into several RDD functions including Category Systems Integration, Design Engineering, Technology Development, Product Testing, Safety and Compliance.
- Help to ensure the establishment of strong planning and execution relationships with Development, Operations, Manufacturing and Procurement teams.
- Identify and align with Programme Management and Optimisation team practices and transformative initiatives and work with leadership to ensure consistent implementation across the organisation and with Dyson’s manufacturing partners.
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree specialising in at least one of: Motor Drives, Power Electronics, Control Systems, Electromechanical or Systems Engineering.
- Experience level: Minimum 15 years’ work experience with at least 5 years’ experience leading engineering-intensive product development in a matrix environment.
- Experience managing a large and diverse engineering team with multi-cultural backgrounds.
- Experience building a technology team that operates from development to manufacturing.
- Experience working in a multi-site, global environment building trust and driving execution and results across locations.
- PhD degree in Engineering or similar technical field.
- Formal product development training/experience.
- Lean Six Sigma experience.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
- Hardware: SMPS, cordless power circuits, battery technology, high efficiency motors and motor drive, BLDC motors.
- Software: embedded system experience; experience in evaluation and debugging of peripheral interfaces including I2C, SPI, UART; software languages and libraries C/C++ and Python.
- Electromagnetics: working knowledge of the fundamentals of electromagnetic machine design, operation and control.
BenefitsDyson Singapore monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and bonuses. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy a transport allowance and comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.