- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
Dyson is a pioneering global technology company. We are all about better ideas and new technologies. We believe everything could be better. We are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
Our energy, determination and success mean that our business continues to grow at a remarkable pace. We explore new opportunities wherever we find them and we’re investing heavily in our products, our people and our infrastructure to ensure that we remain ahead of our competitors and deliver the quality that our customers have come to expect from Dyson.
About The Team
The Group Contracting team is based in the UK and Singapore. We provide legal support in relation to Dyson’s global supply chain, procurement activities and manufacturing operations; helping to establish and maintain effective contractual relationships with our suppliers and manage any associated legal risk. Our work involves advising on high-value and/or strategically important commercial agreements with suppliers; supporting major procurement and supply chain transformation projects; and resolving contractual disputes.
We’re looking for a technically excellent and commercially minded Senior Legal Counsel to join our Group Contracting legal team. The focus of this role will be to manage the delivery of legal services in relation to Dyson’s group indirect procurement activities (including IT, commercial, logistics, corporate services, estates and capital projects).
About The Role
The focus of this role will be to manage the delivery of legal support to Dyson’s non-manufacturing group functions (such as our group IT, finance, HR, logistics, media & marketing, customer services, and estates teams), but there will be the opportunity to work across all aspects of the team.
As a Senior Legal Counsel, you’ll be involved in some of Dyson’s most significant and complex supplier contracts (engaging with external counsel where necessary), often as part of a cross-functional team. You’ll be working in a fast-paced environment where collaboration and teamwork are highly valued. You’ll need to establish strong relationships with key business stakeholders, managing their requirements and Dyson’s wider business objectives to ensure that we deliver legal services effectively and efficiently. You’ll help to set the future direction of the team and contribute towards the fulfilment of our strategic objectives. You’ll also support more junior members of the Global Operations legal team and line manage one of our Legal Counsel.
- Ensure the effective and efficient delivery of legal services to support Dyson’s indirect procurement activities (including managing incoming requests for legal support, determining how to allocate and prioritise legal resources, and coordinating with other teams across Dyson Legal to deliver cohesive advice).
- Foster strong, collaborative, working relationships with stakeholders and act as a trusted legal ‘business partner’.
- Provide strategic legal advice on Dyson’s approach to major procurement projects.
- Draft, negotiate and advise on the terms of important commercial contracts with Dyson’s suppliers across a broad range of subject matters.
- Provide expert advice on legal and contractual matters, helping the business to navigate complex issues and understand legal risks.
- Maintain appropriate contract templates and guidance materials.
- Assist the business to resolve contractual disputes with suppliers and manage any associated litigation that may arise (with support from external counsel where necessary).
- Identify and manage legal risks; and devise risk mitigation strategies in response to them.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of the team’s strategic objectives.
- Provide supervision, direction, and support to more junior members of the team, and line manage one Legal Counsel.
- Manage external legal counsel and legal spend when necessary.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of developments in relevant areas of law and contribute to the team’s horizon scanning activities.
You will have:
- Significant experience of providing legal advice on complex commercial contracts and a solid grasp of contract law. As a guide, we’d expect you to have at least 5 years of post-qualification experience in a commercial contracts-orientated role, obtained either in-house or in private practice.
- Excellent contract drafting skills and attention to detail. You’ll also need to be able to analyse, and accurately interpret, contract terms and identify the potential risks flowing from them.
- Extensive experience of leading contract negotiations.
- Ability to identify legal and commercial risks, contextualise those risks; and present effective risk mitigation strategies.
- Commercial awareness and pragmatism. You’ll need to be able to discern legal issues from business issues, and tailor your advice to recognise commercial considerations and practical realities.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to articulate complex issues in clear, easy to understand, language.
- The confidence and gravitas to build trust, proactively contribute to discussions, and constructively challenge decisions when required.
- Enthusiasm for supervising junior legal colleagues and helping them to develop.
- An understanding of the role of an in-house legal team in a large business, and an interest in helping to develop and advance the team’s strategic plans.
- Ability to work autonomously on matters, using your initiative to propose solutions, actions and next steps to get things done and support the achievement of Dyson’s business objectives.
- The composure to remain calm under pressure, manage competing demands simultaneously, and prioritise and resource work appropriately.
- Performance related bonus
- Company paid Life Assurance
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Competitive pension scheme
- Purchase additional holidays
- 27 days holiday plus statutory bank holidays
- Free bus travel to and from Malmesbury campus from Bristol, Chippenham and Swindon
- On-site parking
- Endless free coffee and tea, and a free lunch
- Free on-site hair salon
- On-site lifestyle Assist
- Electric vehicle scheme
- Private Medical insurance for all employees
- Employee Assistance Program for employee and dependents
- Digital GP and prescription service
- Fertility treatment support
- On-site gym and sports centre
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.