- United Kingdom - Hullavington Office
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with exciting new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We are continuing to grow, and our ambition is huge - more categories, more locations and more innovative technology.
Procurement Engineering is an expanding and exciting team that sits at the very heart of Dyson upstream product development. Our team have a blend of commercial and engineering experience and we work very closely with our colleagues in NPI, Research and Global Engineering. Our role is to support and develop the commodity, commercial and supply chain strategies for new technologies that will help define Dyson’s future success.
As part of the Global Operations & Procurement Team, we lead and drive upstream procurement activity across all product categories for the newest technologies and early supplier engagement. We work collaboratively alongside Research and NPI from the very start of the product development cycle to ensure we are building robust supply chains that have optimum cost, quality and performance outcomes.
About the role
This is a leadership role where you will be a subject matter expert, sought out across the business from senior stakeholders & project/category leaders for you and your team’s expert knowledge. The projects and problem-solving activities you will be involved in will often be complex and time sensitive, requiring strong decision-making skills and the ability to see solutions where others may not.
- Manage & lead the Electro-Mechanical Procurement Engineering team engagement with Research & NPI on new technologies across all product categories
- Provide expert commercial & technical support to lead & coach the team to source high quality parts and sub-assemblies that meet all performance, functional and commercial criteria
- Work within upstream RDD teams across multiple projects & categories to create, develop and integrate EM technologies/supplier strategies
- Drive design to cost - looking to achieve the optimal technology at the optimal cost
- Guide the team, encouraging innovation and development of best practice/good discipline to deliver robust commercial and engineering solutions
- Ensure strong communication, collaboration and co-ordination of activities with all relevant teams to ensure effective and timely input - these may be external suppliers as well as internal teams
- Support and advise as a subject matter expert to help carry out the necessary due diligence and qualification of new suppliers and technologies
- Work closely with the Procurement Engineering leadership team to champion team objectives & initiatives, ensuring deliverables are completed on time
- You will demonstrate a clear passion for Procurement and the benefits it can bring to an organisation. You will be able to smoothly navigate sometimes complex situations and be comfortable operating at all levels within commercial and engineering driven environments. You will need excellent commercial acumen, stakeholder management and influencing skills as these will be vital for the role. Resilience and the desire to bring about change is also highly desirable.
- The successful candidate will :
- Have a degree in a relevant engineering or commercial discipline with demonstrable work experience in both of these areas
- Have excellent knowledge & experience of product R&D with demonstrable experience of managing commercial teams
- Have a proven track record of being able to lead technically challenging commodities from concept to production
- Have a well-founded understanding and awareness of EM commodities, and how those commodities work and can be optimised. For example:
- PSUs & Chargers
- Be able to work collaboratively and influence multiple senior stakeholders across the different product categories and support teams
- Be a self-starter with the ability to drive PE activity in an efficient and organised manner
- Be able to work autonomously and independently to ensure alignment with cross functional teams
- Experience in NPI Product Development and or Consumer Electronics Development is also desirable
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.