- Operational Engineering
- Malaysia - Development Centre
Dyson began twenty one years ago with James Dyson and a handful of engineers questioning everyday products, thinking differently and making them better. We are now the world's number one vacuum cleaner manufacturer in the UK, US, Japan, Europe and Australasia.
We've even branched out to improving commercial technology that frustrates us. The Dyson Airblade hand dryer dries hands in ten seconds, it’s also the most hygienic and energy efficient hand dryer available. And more recently a fan, Air Multiplier, with no blades or grille.
There are over 4000 in the world and we’re all inventive and hugely passionate about what we do. At our Development Centre in Johor Bahru, Malaysia & Singapore there are almost 1600 of us, a mixture of engineers and support staff, we are Dyson people that are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. Our teams there will rise to more than 2000 over the next 2 years.
About the role
We are looking to hire a talented mechanical design engineer for the design and development of an ergonomic manufacturing test solution. This is a unique opportunity to demonstrate your engineering skills at the organizational level by working closely with R&D product development team and external test development suppliers in forming the objective and vision of a manufacturing test system.
In this role, you will be required to collaborate with R&D and external test development suppliers to determine manufacturing test system design requirements and the system architectural design to support “manufacturing testing” capabilities. You will be involved in the conceptual design of mechanical test equipment, evaluating proof of principle test, and detail design intended for business requirement in order to ensure that design specifications of a test system are met.
To be a successful as mechanical test equipment design engineer, you should be mechanically minded plus with some basic knowledge in electrical with strong analytical and critical thinking abilities. You should possess detailed knowledge of engineering and mechanical design principles and be able to find creative solutions to technical problems.
* Collaborate globally at early phase with R&D design teams to determine the purpose of mechanical test applications and test requirements.
* Generating test equipment specification involving system architecture concept, main block diagrams and bill of material for RFQ purpose.
* Conducting research to standardize test system design where it is feasible using best practices and engineering methods required for the mechanical test systems.
* Reviewing test supplier’s technical proposal on test system design and optimizing design solution for ergonomic design and cost.
* Planning and executing mechanical designs using CAD, CAM, and 3D CAD programs.
* Overseeing the development and manufacturing of physical prototypes for testing.
* Documenting the design process, iterations, and test analytics.
* Liaising with RDD design engineers, manufacturing process engineers, contract manufacturers to ensure coherence.
* Drive engineering deliverables with great sense of urgency on any productivity issues related to the test and measurement system with the support of the respective cross functional teams internally and externally.
* Optimise manufacturing test time by streamlining manufacturing test script and simplicity of test system design.
* Driving continuous improvement plan through process capability study and using statistical tools such as CpK to optimize manufacturing test limits.
* Research and recommend new technologies to improve tester efficiency and manufacturing throughput.
* Work with project management team to deliver a reliable test solution on time.
* Qualifying and commissioning manufacturing test system by using Gauge R&R and or Gauge1.
* Collaborate with RDD in the early phase of product development and test strategy development.
* Candidates must possess at a bachelor’s degree in Mechatronic/Mechanical Engineering with at least 3-5 years of working experience in electronics manufacturing assembly environment with great knowledge and understanding of manufacturing test system.
*Proficiency with engineering design programs such as AutoCAD and/or Solidworks.
* Good understanding on pneumatic control system, servo motors, and manufacturing line automation system.
* Able to challenge the purpose and objective of test clearly.
* Sound knowledge of design, engineering principles and best practices.
* Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities in sustaining test system.
* Exceptional time management and organizational skills.
* Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
* Attentive to detail and critically minded.
* The ability to stay abreast of advancements in technology and engineering design trends.
* Great engineering practices on subjects related to Dfx, DFMEA and PFMEA.
* Strong team player and able to drive technical deliverables of manufacturing test solution and able to highlight technical risk with mitigation plan.
* Knowledgeable in statistical process control (SPC) and data analysis for test optimization.
Dyson Malaysia monitors the market to ensure we offer competitive salaries, management bonuses and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy generous leave and medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a career at Dyson. Leadership support and new opportunities abound, driven by regular dialogue and international training. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to progress, innovation and realising ambition.
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.