- Science and Research
- Malaysia - Development Centre
Working as the materials point of contact within a wider technical support team, the new Materials Engineer will support our design teams during development of new products, ensuring they meet our high integrity and reliability standards and turn our next generation ideas into working products. This will involve providing materials selection guidance, testing and experimentation, support of new materials research and the creation of detailed materials documentation.
About the role
- Work with cross-functional teams in RDD and Operations in South East Asia and with RDD UK for all materials-related issues.
- Support the development and scale up of new technologies.
- Select, identify and evaluate materials based on design objectives but also materials that benefit aesthetics and cost.
- Use of key materials knowledge, literature research and experiments to validate results and substantiate materials choices.
- Support failure analysis and development of test methods.
- Communicate with new and existing suppliers.
- Document material selection criteria including criteria to meet compliance requirements.
- BSc or higher in Materials Science & Engineering or a related subject is essential.
- 3 or more years’ experience within a relevant materials role, but lower levels of experience will be considered for the right candidate.
- Sound knowledge of material properties with a preference to ceramics. Metal and polymer material background will also be considered for the role for the right candidate.
- Experience with a range of characterisation techniques such as such as Tensile and Mechanical testing, FTIR, DSC, TGA, Wear/Tribology, Metrology.
- Knowledge of failure mechanisms, basic mechanical principles such as fatigue, creep, thermal expansion and tribology but also processing methods such as injection moulding or extrusion is desirable.
- Knowledge or experience working with surface coatings and sustainable/renewable materials is desirable.
- Ability to communicate effectively with Designers, Senior Management and Engineering teams in the UK and South East Asia.
- Creative and methodical problem-solving skills accompanied with an enthusiastic, self-motivated and collaborative nature.
- Ability to manage time, manage multiple projects and prioritise activities according to project timelines.
- Experience with a Materials Selection software and Minitab is desirable.
Dyson Malaysia monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and bonuses. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy a transport allowance and comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition.
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.