- Mechanical Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Our philosophy remains the same as it was 25 years ago when James Dyson invented the first cyclonic vacuum cleaner. We remain family owned. We don’t bow to outside shareholders or report to the stock exchange. Instead, we plot our own path, unshackled from conventional thinking. At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
About the roleWe are looking for Senior Design/Mechanical Design Engineers to work within our Mechanical design team to develop innovative, high performance motor technologies that meet or exceed our aspirations, enhancing the company’s technical advantage in its new products. Our Engineers are part of a global team that develop technology from research concept stage through to production; the latter of this process is in collaboration with our teams in Singapore & the Philippines with the opportunity to travel if desired.
What we need you to do…• Working as part of a team, be responsible for delivering parts, assemblies and systems from defined concepts to production.
• Optimise & validate mechanical designs using appropriate modelling, simulation and analysis tools.
• Conduct or define lab-based testing for component and system characterisation and validation.
• Work closely with prototype build technicians to define and optimise assembly processes and equipment from initial concepts to full scale production.
• Develop designs that are refined for low cost, high volume manufacturing.
• Demonstrate a mind-set of continuous improvement to challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices.
• Generate engineering development plans and report to technical management on risks, timescales and technical issues.
• Demonstrate clear presentation of technical information and supporting documentation.
• Collaborate with the wider Dyson engineering teams both in the UK and in Asia.
• Use established Dyson development processes and good engineering practice to deliver robust design solutions that meet specification requirements.
What we need you to have…Essential:• A creative and agile mind, and a desire to enhance your design and development skills in a fast-paced environment.
• Capable of working in both a cross-functional team environment and independently and demonstrate strong self-motivation to get the job done.
• Persistent and proactive approach to problem solving and an inquisitive ‘hands on’ approach.
• The ability to demonstrate a good understanding of the fundamentals of mechanics.
• An awareness of the application of electronics and their interfaces.
• A broad understanding of material properties and manufacturing processes related to common engineering materials.
• Commerical experience in generating and interpreting engineering drawings
• The ability to demonstrate a thorough approach to reasoning and problem solving
• A degree in BSc Product Design, Mechanical Design or Mechanical Engineering, BEng Hons (or equivalent)
• Be flexible and responsive in a dynamic environment.
• Industrial experience in the field of engineering.
Desirable:• Appreciation of relevant motor technology or rotating machinery
• Experience in the use of static mechanical FEA for evaluating simple designs, preferably using Ansys.
• Experience in laboratory-based testing and validation
• Knowledge and understanding of a variety of manufacturing techniques and limitations.
• In depth knowledge of geometric dimensioning & tolerancing (GD&T) with the ability to define and interpret from engineering drawings
• An appreciation of variation analysis for complex assemblies.
• As required, periodically travel internationally for project transfer/engineering build support.
Benefits• 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
• Pension scheme
• Performance related bonus
• Private medical insurance
• Life assurance
• Sport centre
• Free on-site parking
• Subsidised café and restaurants
• Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.