- Design and Development
- Philippines - Advanced Manufacturing Office
Dyson is growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
Power Systems is a global function that designs and develops Dyson’s internal technologies that enable most of our products. The team has experts in wide range of areas (mechanical, electrical, software, project management) and is responsible of the development from early stages through to production.
The Mechanical Design team within Power Systems is responsible for mechanical design, build process, sample building, analysis, and experimental validation and verification of mechanical robustness and reliability of the technology project.
About the role
- Create/implement great technology to produce high quality and reliable Dyson Hyperdimium Motor that meet all performance and functional criteria.
- Work with global RDD teams (simulation/electronic/mechanical/automation engineers) for realization of new Dyson Hyperdimium Motor technology research into the final production design, ensuring product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met.
- Take a proactive approach in the generation of solutions/ideas -present solutions/ideas and concepts to senior management, for example through design reviews presentation.
- Take an active role to ensure that all engineering problems are resolved thoroughly & validated through appropriate test methods.
- Use established Dyson methodology, good engineering practice & discipline to deliver robust solutions in agreed timeframe, such as but not limited to Tolerance Stack Analysis, 3DCS, Process Capability (Cpk), DFMEA, Design for Automation, Minitab, etc.
- Perform hands-on approach in motor build prototyping and using basic measurement equipment, including ability to design required jig and fixture setup, and Proof of Principle machine evaluation and buy-off.
- Deliver and maintain design documentation such as drawings, Bill of Material, limit test reports timely.
- Communicate between all relevant teams to ensure effective & timely input - these may be external as well as internal team.
- Manage sub-project tasks assigned, with ability to hold technical discussion with internal and external cross-functional team, take calculated risk with strong justification if required.
- Initiate and or review Engineering Change, making 3D/2D & BOM changes/creation with strong justification; liaise with Manufacturing & Production to ensure smooth implementation.
- Challenge & develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve technologies/design/product quality.
- Liaise with our In-house Manufacturing Team for engineering evaluations or special builds in support of productivity/quality improvement projects or cost reduction initiatives such as alternative parts/suppliers, engineering redesign, etc.
- Mentor Graduates, Junior Mechanical Design Engineer and other team members & day-to-day management of others if relevant.
- Sound understanding of basic physical & mechanical principles, manufacturing, & research & development through analysis, prototyping and testing.
- Sound understanding & experience in GD&T application and interpretation, tolerance stack creation and analysis, and precision measurement systems/methods.
- Solid experience in fundamentals of mechanics and mechatronics, various manufacturing processes and technologies particularly in moulding, casting, machining, adhesive, etc.
- Team player & self-starter, good at communicating at all levels.
- A well-rounded mix of experimental, theoretical and design skills. Aptitude in hands-on prototype lab work, including but not limited to test, assembly & measurement jig design.
- Strong trouble-shooter, demonstrate a thorough approach to reasoning and problem solving, and a desire to develop their design and development skills
- Comfortable to work and collaborate with different teams across different geographical location with different time zone.
- Candidate with hands on experience and knowledge of precision measurement will be an advantage.
- Experience in working at low mix high volume industry, with strong knowledge in statistical tools and analysis is a plus.
- Proficiency in 3D CAD (preferably Unigraphics), with other tools such as PLM and Minitab is an advantage.
- Experience in mentoring and coaching peers or Junior Engineers will be an added advantage.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize key activities according to project deliveries.
- Able to work in a self-motivated way as well as in a team.
- Good verbal and written communication skills and able to communicate in a professional manner with all levels.
- Strong “can-do” attitude. Demonstrate ability to work proactively and work under pressure.
- Exposure to working in a cross cultural and international team would be advantageous.
- At least a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering with specialization in design/aeronautical/material/chemical engineering.
- Between 5 years and up of mechanical design experience in full technology development cycle ideally related to precision machinery or complex mechatronics assembly such as HDD, electric motors or turbochargers.
We combine work life balance, access to the latest devices, and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit. It’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realizing ambition.
At Dyson Philippines, we invest in our people through a package of financial, lifestyle and health benefits, to support whatever stage of life you are in and the moments that matter. Some of our exciting benefits offerings as follow:
- 15 to 20 days of annual leave (varies by length of service)
- 15 days of paid sick leave
- 5 days of study leave
- Opportunity to be an owner of a Dyson machine
- Relocation support
- Company paid life insurance for employees from day one
- Company paid HMO from day one including eligible dependents
- My Flexi Benefits
- Employee Assistance Programme for employees and dependents
- Complimentary lunch
- On-site gym, sports centre and basketball court at new Dyson campus
- Complimentary on-site medical clinic services
- On site mini grocery store
- Free bus shuttle from and to common locations
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.