Our global reputation is priceless and it always hangs on what we do next. Dyson is a unique technology enterprise. We pioneer. Our biggest category today didn’t even exist a few years ago. Our next biggest category? That could be where you come in.
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We are proud to be authentic, different and pioneers. We are driven by a desire to solve real problems and improve everyday lives with intuitive solutions that do more, but use less. Family owned, we are not restricted by conventional thinking; we explore, discover and learn for ourselves. Never satisfied, we believe everything can always be made better.
About the role
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Senior Mechanical Research Engineer to join the highly successful Motors and Power Systems team within the Research, Design and Development (RDD) department.
The team have been pioneers in the industry for more than 15 years, coming up with a range of very high speed, very power dense compressor motors that are highly efficient, cost-effective and robust. These motors are conceived in the UK and manufactured at Dyson’s state-of-the-art facilities in Singapore and Philippines. The team has ambitious growth plans in 2021 in order to deliver an expanding range of high performance motors for Dyson’s existing and future product categories over the next few years.
Within this team the successful applicant will be working on the mechanical design of our Dyson Digital Motors (DDMs).
* Deliver robust design solutions that fulfil the fundamental design requirements
* Generate design requirements and identify risk areas
* Develop 3D CAD and engineering drawings for mechanical components and assemblies along with test rigs and assembly fixtures
* Understand and comply with relevant International Standards
* Be responsible for delivering parts, assemblies and systems from concept to proof of principle
* Develop innovative and novel concepts with high value IP while considering freedom to operate
* Create new, and improve upon existing, best practices and processes within the team
* Degree in a relevant engineering or scientific discipline (2:1 degree or better) with an appreciable level of industrial experience in the design and development of mechanical systems
* Capable of performing hand calculations to provide initial design direction and confidence in simulation results
* High level of knowledge of 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages
* Working knowledge of GD&T
* Understanding of physical failure methods and approaches to root cause analysis
* Understanding of design verification approaches and ability to define suitable test methods
* Able to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal formats
* Be able to carry out structural FE analysis of components and assemblies and verify results through testing
* Able to work with a variety of multi-disciplinary project teams
* Knowledge of power system design, including motors, transmissions and energy storage solutions
* An appreciation of other engineering disciplines such aerodynamics, thermodynamics, CFD analysis and electrical, electronics and electromagnetic systems
* Experience using Siemens NX, ANSYS Workbench and Siemens Teamcenter
* Able to carry out simple modal, thermal, rotordynamic and impact analyses of components and assemblies
* Appreciation of statistics and robust design techniques
* Understanding of materials science and manufacturing processes
* Capable of performing tolerance stack analysis on complex assemblies
* Confident in building test fixtures/jigs and carrying out FRACASs where required
* 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
* Pension scheme
* Performance related bonus
* Private medical insurance
* Life assurance
* Sport centre
* Free on-site parking
* Subsidised café and restaurants
* Discounts on Dyson machines
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us