- Mechanical Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
At Dyson we’re obsessed with continuously making things better, pushing the boundaries of what others have defined as impossible. We do this by making products that solve real world problems using both novel technologies and established technologies, in new and innovative ways. Integrating these technologies into a product and ensuring that we are delivering market leading performance to our customers is a challenging job, and one that takes specialist skills. That’s where the Technology Development team comes in.
About the roleWe are looking for a talented Mechanical Engineer to join our Technology Development team, to support the Pick Up & Separation Systems development of our new floorcare products.
Working as part of a small team you will be responsible for the Pick up, Separation and Filtration product performance. You will be working alongside the design team to create new ways to measure and predict key performance parameters; ensuring that our technologies are up to meeting their ambitious targets. You will use a mixture of test, simulation and engineering judgement to solve the problems that arise as we develop our technologies and products. You will work from the very early stages of a project, taking responsibility of development when the technologies leave the research stage, developing them to a feasible solution and then supporting our SEA counterparts to take the design through to production.
What you will do:
- Identify and manage product level challenges associated with dust pick up and separation and resolve them withing project timelines.
- Work side by side with the Design Managers and assembly teams / design engineers on projects, taking a lead role and responsibility for the areas of Pick Up, Separation and Filtration
- Use experimental validation and other relevant analysis methods to validate our understanding &and solutions.
- Keep all stakeholders advised on progress and status of project performance.
- Mentor and lead others across the business in the area of Pick up, Separation and Filtration.
- Represent the Pick Up & Separation Systems team at project cross-team meetings and discussions.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with design engineers and broader cross teams around the business at all levels.
- You will also work closely with your counterpart team in Southeast Asia; where there is opportunity to travel to other Dyson’s sites for project and knowledge transfer when appropriate
- A good knowledge of the fundamentals of fluid dynamics and thermodynamics.
- A sound understanding of experimental methods and processes, particularly with regards to current, pressure, temperature and flow measurement techniques.
- A good understanding of the principles and application of Fluids and CFD methods preferable. (Previous experience of ANSYS-Fluent and/or ANSYS-CFX beneficial, but not essential)
- A good working knowledge of commercial CAD tools.
- A good working knowledge of Matlab is preferable but not essential
- A strong sense of initiative and self-motivation is critical
- A good analytical ability and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
- Ability to generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values.
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams and projects in an often high-pressure, competitive environment.
- Excellent team-working skills
- A degree or Masters Mechanical Engineering (other relevant disciplines will be considered).
- Appreciation of rapid prototyping and general workshop modelmaking
- Appreciation of motors & motor control is desirable but not essential
- Training opportunities (In house and External)
- A good work-life balance (we work hard whilst we are here, but we don’t typically work late nights or weekends)
- Interesting and varied work, where you won’t be pigeon-holed
- The opportunity to work on products that you will see in the shops and that you can be proud to have been a part of
- Working with other highly experienced engineers and continuing to learn something new every day
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidized café
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Private Medical and Dental
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.