- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
Our New Product Innovation (NPI) teams are at the forefront of technology development. With over 600 projects ongoing at any one time, we are constantly looking to push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. With state-of-the-art facilities, and a fully collaborative approach to innovation, we are looking for engineers to conceptualise and develop products of the future.
About the Role
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer within New Product Innovation (NPI) you will be a crucial member of a dynamic team to help meet and exceed the requirements of our products. You will be working closely with Research engineer specialists and downstream RDD teams to create and develop new technology, product formats and business cases for the haircare category.
- Produce mechanical designs for motion control and drive systems to meet product specifications and processes incorporating low cost, high volume manufacturing techniques.
- Be responsible for 3D CAD and design requirements of mechanical components from concept through to design frozen and complete.
- Liaise and collaborate with the suppliers to develop innovative, robust and scalable technology platforms.
- Use hand calculations and/or computer simulation to validate designs through the development process, backed up with lab based testing / characterisation / validation.
- Analyse test results, summarise and communicate these to colleagues both technical and non-technical.
- Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve design quality.
- Define plans, monitor progress and report to management on technical risks.
- Take an active, hands-on role to ensure that all engineering problems are resolved thoroughly.
- Own/contribute to team/department level initiatives & change projects.
- Mentor and guide junior members of the team in technical, planning and design activities.
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering. MEng, BEng Hons or Product Design with strong technical portfolio and experience
- 3-6 years experience in a relevant design or engineering related discipline
- Clear logical thought process with a sound understanding of fundamental physical science and general engineering principles
- Able to demonstrate a good understanding of mechanisms and an awareness of the application of electrical principles and electronics
- Idea generation – a creative problem solver who is intellectually sharp
- Ability to multitask without losing focus in a rapidly changing environment
- Persistent nature and an inquisitive approach
- Ability to champion great design to produce products that meet all performance and functional criteria
- Ability to communicate effectively across disciplines and business functions
- Good understanding of analogue electronics
- Experience working with fluid based systems (airflow or liquid)
- Good understanding of thermal systems design, particularly convective heat transfer
- Material Science and knowledge of mechanical integrity beneficial.
- Basic programming languages and Mechatronics
• Performance related bonus
• Company paid Life Assurance
• Discounts on Dyson machines
• Competitive pension scheme
• Purchase additional holidays
• 27 days holiday plus statutory bank holidays
• Free bus travel to and from Malmesbury campus from Bristol, Chippenham and Swindon
• On-site parking
• Endless free coffee and tea, and a free lunch
• Free on-site hair salon
• On-site lifestyle Assist
• Electric vehicle scheme
• Private Medical insurance for all employees
• Employee Assistance Program for employee and dependents
• Digital GP and prescription service
• Fertility treatment support
• On-site gym and sports centre
• On-site wellbeing centre
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.