- Software Engineering and Connectivity
- Bristol - United Kingdom
We are a highly technical, creative and collaborative team made up of App, Cloud and Embedded Engineers. We partner with teams across Dyson to rapidly refine early product concepts and ideas, by developing working prototypes that de-risk tech and help production teams understand what is required so they can focus on delivering.
We have a culture of trust and respect; we believe the teams themselves are the best people to decide how they deliver work, and that within the teams everyone’s contribution is vital. We regularly share our knowledge and interests through community meetings, which regularly lead to the adoption of new technologies, methods, and cross-team collaboration.
We are a growing group, currently split into two interdisciplinary scrum teams. Team members are from diverse educational backgrounds and experience levels.
When not building software, we can be found cycling, gaming, cooking, learning foreign languages, making music or building stuff. We’re a very sociable team, often meeting outside of work online or in person.
About the roleWe’re after someone who deeply understands iOS and/or Android, and is passionate and proactive about building their broader technical skillset.
In NST, you are often given responsibility on projects, leading on technical and design approaches. You will also contribute to future concepts and technology strategies. You must be comfortable working with a variety of people - be it engineers in other disciplines on how to build a prototype, designers on how to design something amazing, or commercial teams on the value of the latest App innovation.
We work on future prototypes, so we often work on-site to maintain secrecy and work collaboratively. Dyson labs are not your standard dev studio.
We write our iOS apps in Swift, and Android apps using Kotlin. Since most of our apps are not designed for the public or intended to be supported for a significant period, we are relatively free in our choice of technology. This enables us to understand the value or challenges with new technology to help inform our Delivery teams. For example, on iOS we primarily use SwiftUI and Combine.
We have our own modules for commonly used functionality, which are managed via Swift Package Manager and Gradle. Due to the nature of our work, we only write tests where needed.
What you’ll be doing
- Rapidly developing prototype apps for Dyson’s latest concepts
- Collaborating with colleagues from other disciplines, including cloud and embedded engineers, product owners, and feature and UX/UI designers
- Defining technical and design approaches as well as developing new algorithms
- Picking up new technology, and at times going beyond iOS or Android
- Presenting your work and findings to technical and non-technical audiences
- Mentoring junior members of the team, including students from the Dyson Institute
- You’re passionate about keeping up to date on the latest innovations in App, IoT, Smart Home and general technology
- You enjoy learning about new things and sharing those things with others
- You’re experienced writing quality iOS and/or Android apps
- You enjoy collaborating with other humans
- You’re comfortable with change
- You have experience working in an Agile software environment
- You’re able to work at our Bristol office at least 3 days per week (depending on Government restrictions)
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Central Bristol location
- Performance related bonus
- Continued development and learning
- Life assurance
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.