- Motors and Power Systems
- Calamba - Philippines
About the roleDyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals for a permanent Senior Motor Drives Engineer position in our Philippines Advanced Manufacturing and RDD facility. Being part of a small but growing team working on the Dyson Digital Motor in the Philippines, this role combines supporting the existing family of Dyson Digital Motors and associated products with the analysis and validation of new motor projects in the runup to the start of production. This will involve characterisation, test and analysis of motors, power electronic drives and control systems to help to ensure that the final products meet their performance specification before and during the active production lifecycle. Based in Dyson’s Philippines Advanced Manufacturing facility you will be joining the Dyson Motor Drives & Advanced Control (MDAC) team within the Dyson Global Electronics Hardware organisation. The MDAC team form part of the wider Motors and Power Systems Group and is a significant part of Dyson RDD with a growing team of more than 100 highly skilled engineers, scientists and technicians in its UK, Singapore, Malaysia and Philippines offices. The Group focuses on researching and developing cutting-edge electric motors, drives and control systems for integration into existing and future Dyson products from concept design to fully automated production
About youThis is what we need you to do:
- Working closely with the design lead, you will follow existing Test Methods for system characterisation and analysis such as control system validation, thermal mapping and user interaction of motors, power electronics and associated products as required.
- Assist with bringing new power electronic hardware to production through ownership of aspects such as alternate component qualification, drawing upissue, release-process management and DPAP (Dyson Part Approval Process).
- As directed, complete analysis of production data from motor, PCBA and product manufacturing facilities to identify drift, issues, non-compliance and opportunities for process improvement and optimisation both on an ongoing basis and where specific issues arise. Be able to complete GR&R tests to validate correct functioning of equipment within given specification.
- Working with the Dyson Operations teams and your direct counterparts in our Singapore Advanced Manufacturing facility you will work on trouble-shooting of complex production end-of-line test, tune and product calibration systems for existing motor, PCBA or product projects.
- Work closely with the test and validation teams in the UK to develop test methods and ensure the correct operation of test equipment to ensure the accuracy and validity of testing.
- Provide support to reliability and quality engineers with trial-build or field-return failure analysis, quality and reliability improvements for launched products: completing root cause analysis of any failures of the motor or associated drive and control system, reporting the findings back to the design lead or other engineers or managers where applicable.
- Assist other engineers within the team with the creation and review of documents such as design schematics, design notes, FMEA, failure analysis reports, technical review documents and part approval to ensure the lessons learned from manufacturing are captured.
- Be free to travel when required to Singapore and local suppliers’ sites to complete or support validation and complete or support FRACAS investigation work.
- Be able to apply your skills to other areas of work and tasks within the business as may be required of you on occasion for the benefit of the wider team. This could include, but is not limited to, supplier liaison for issue resolution or audit, engineering design work, test rig building and production equipment commissioning.
- A good first degree in electrical/electronic engineering or equivalent qualification or demonstrable experience of equivalent-level working in production, test and validation environments.
- Design knowledge and experience in a range of aspects of electronics including some of: power electronics, motor control, analogue, digital and sensing technologies.
- Working knowledge of schematic capture, PCB layout and associated software.
- Strong communication and team working skills to be able to form a bridge between multiple teams of different disciplines working on a single, integrated product across multiple global sites.
- Strong technical analysis skills and an ability to use standard laboratory equipment to set up experiments and to take precise measurements of motors, PCBAs and mains-referenced control systems to aid performance analysis, fault-finding and completion of GR&R testing.
- Strong statistical analysis skills to be able to gather data from multiple sources, including your own testing, to calculate such things as trends, drifts and probabilities to identify performance against specification or to show where things are starting to go wrong.
- Be flexible and open-minded to respond quickly to changes in project priorities. Be able to demonstrate sound theoretical knowledge, reasoning and problem solving skills in engineering.
- Be able to clearly report progress and results in-person during meetings along with producing a high standard of written documentation of your work.
- Proactive and persistent nature demonstrated by an inquisitive approach.
- Be a creative thinker and problem solver; highly self-motivated and self-reliant with enthusiasm for motors, power systems and Dyson products.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English is mandatory.
- Experience with high-volume manufacturing environments and on-line measurement of system performance.
- Formal Six Sigma or Lean Six Sigma qualification.
- Proficient use of data analysis tools such as Minitab.
- Be proficient in the use of LabView to be able to maintain existing and create new programs.
- Have working knowledge of a range of hardware development platforms including National Instruments, Arduino and Raspberry Pi.
- Experience of managing a small team of engineers.
- Working knowledge of the fundamentals of electromagnetic machine operation particularly single and multi-phase permanent magnet motors.
- An appreciation of motor control techniques for low and high speed, singlephase and multi-phase permanent magnet motors
BenefitsDyson Philippine monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries, bonuses and relocation assistance. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy a transport allowance and comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fueling and realizing ambition
Interview guidance:We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.