- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
A role in Dyson’s strategy team provides a unique opportunity to significantly contribute to the company’s mid-to-long term innovation pipeline. The lifeblood of Dyson. Working across teams, this role will use lateral and structured thinking, alongside insight, to define the market opportunity, identify gaps and evaluate USPs of critical products across 2 – 3 key categories.
This is a challenging but highly rewarding role, which will provide significant exposure to decision making at the most senior levels of the organisation – influencing positive change and having a significant impact on the category and business direction. Success will depend on how the role holder applies thinking, approaches challenges, communicates, influences and leads others.
We recognise the value of contribution from different perspectives, and our team draws on experience across the Marketing, Commercial, Product Development, Research, Engineering and Finance disciplines – so we’d be delighted to consider applicants from any professional background.
About the Role
• Work with NPI engineers on developing the future product pipeline plan, communicate category and Dyson strategy to the NPI engineers, guide NPI to develop pioneering products with a strong chance of commercial success
• Lead the assessment of the strategic and commercial attractiveness of N-project concepts, support development of category strategy
• Track category project portfolios, and how well they fit with and track towards achievement of strategic goals. Flag projects that are missing, or off-strategy, plus opportunities to unlock future growth – with changing needs and trends in the market
• Contribute to development of category strategy, feed in NPI and product pipeline perspectives
• Work closely with category Finance Leads to build analytical business cases for projects. Assesses and characterise nature of project, levels of confidence, and key drivers of success: volume forecasting, price positioning, product economics, and required investment
• Ensure the strategic and commercial assessments are completed robustly and objectively for the upstream milestones.
• Help steer projects through upstream development milestones, working cross functionally to ensure profitable ranges, pricing strategies and successful go-to-market plans.
• Lead delivery of strategy and commercial elements of critical business milestones for each N-project in the category, ensure successful, secure hand over of project to category teams at DV milestone
• Garner insight on related technologies, key markets, competitor situation and consumer needs, to develop commercial positioning, claim intent and go-to-market plans.
• Own insight requirements, opportunity sizing, and routes-to-market analysis, ensure the product pipeline aligns with category strategy, and wider Dyson strategy.
• Use qualitative and quantitative sources of insight to understand the consumer and dynamics category
• Analyse consumers, competitors, retailers and other players. Predict how the market will evolve and assess how projects will fare.
• Develop the product claims, verify the strategic and commercial attractiveness of product propositions and specifications, test to substantiate early claims. Identify key claims, technologies and price points.
• As a senior member of the NPI Commercial Team, guide and mentor team members, play a role in the evolution of the team and ways of working
• Experience in fast paced, consumer facing Product Management, Strategy or Marketing role, working closely with research or engineering teams to develop the right products, category vision and commercial success for the business.
• Commercially astute and financially savvy – and contextualising business value; e.g. business case development, category development or hands on P&L experience.
• Experience with insights – in varying levels; from unlocking trends in 10 years’ time through to hands on quantitative and qualitive to help assess the success of the product
• Concise and articulate in communicating analysis and evidence, both written and verbally. Able to onboard and excite others with ideas and approaches
• Able to build strong working relationships with our engineers - a passion for, and broad understanding of, technology is critical
• Confident and credible when working with a wide range of people across the business, at all levels of seniority
• Thorough in approach, an eye for detail, you make a conscious effort to find and evaluate the evidence to understand root causes
• Capable of logically de-constructing an issue or problem, and finding creative, practical solutions
• Able to handle large amounts of complex information and provide timely analysis, in keeping with time pressures for projects
• You enjoy the challenge of getting involved in a range of activities, as priorities and requirements evolve
• Capable of working independently on analysis, and taking a facilitative/leading role with others when needed.
• Willing and able to ‘talk truth to power’, call-out when category strategy is not being followed, and ensure that decisions are evidence-led and as authentic as possible
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.