- Design and Development
- Malaysia - Global Development Campus, Johor Bahru
The Graphics & Packaging Team is responsible for all graphics and packaging that are used in the manufacturing of Dyson products. The G&P deliver effective, cutting-edge packaging solutions to Dyson’s business growth.
Graphics & Packaging Operations need to respond to a new reality in Dyson’s continuing evolution involving Proactive Innovation, Collaboration, Colocation & Accelerated development, supporting our strategic objectives and our drive towards sustainability for our owners and supply chain.
The role is integral to lead packaging engineering team to deliver innovation in packaging, maintaining consistency of design, and quality in materials, applications, and processes, relative to existing and new categories. The position will provide the vital cohesion between packaging conception with RDD and packaging production. The position will suggest a middle term plan of the function, including packaging innovation roadmap & working process optimization, resource plan.
Lead & develop packaging engineering team to drive the development of final packaging solutions that meet the highest level of detail necessary for release to our chosen suppliers for manufacturing and subsequent engineering validation.
Lead the Packaging Engineering team, working alongside our Packaging Designers, Technologists and Engineers, provide technical support to assist the development of chosen concepts in order to demonstrate the proposed solution, through sufficiently credible prototype and test evidence, to provide the project’s design leadership confidence it not only delivers the customer value, but can meet cost, regulatory, sustainability, manufacturing and quality criteria.
This should be delivered through:
• Lead packaging engineering function to work effectively with highly motivated team, optimized process & working plan
• Driving best engineering practices into the design team: Design for Manufacture, Assembly, Cost, Compliance, Robust design.
• Working with potential suppliers to provide rapid turn-around in the development of credible prototypes.
• Ensuring we have repeatable and representative test methods in place to help guide development.
• Optimize & implement a suitable design governance/review process to ensure best practice is followed and ultimately ensuring the design output meets the standards necessary to deliver best in class packaging solutions to the business.
• Through an acute understanding of QMS, Manufacturing and Supplier sensitivities, this position will be responsible for ensuring lessons learnt are captured and embedded back into the process.
Background & Experience
• Degree in PD/PE or equivalent/Substantial direct work experience at a management level
• Minimum 10 years’ experience in packaging engineering, 5 years at management level in a multiple culture international company
• Global experience and appreciation of different working cultures, values and communication styles.
• A successful track record of packaging engineering management within a relevant product development industry.
• In-depth technical knowledge and understanding of core packaging engineering best practice & materials, such as corrugated or paper board, molded fiber…
• Essential to have working knowledge of a wide range of packaging manufacturing technologies and materials and print production processes.
• Desirable to have experience in the application of ISO 9001: Quality Management System.
• Experience in development, and innovative application of, sustainable packaging materials, and a thorough understanding of the packaging carbon footprint throughout its lifecycle.
• Drive and ambition to challenge the norm, innovate and push boundaries, whilst maintaining the delicate balance of meeting timing, cost and quality targets.
• Result oriented, has helicopter view also eye for detail.
• Sense of responsibility to ensure Dyson values are maintained through the output of our work.
• The willingness to challenge assumptions and ability to adapt or generate imaginative and
innovative ideas to the unique problems associated to achieving Dyson’s brand values in our products.
• Drive for consistency, quality, control, but able to strike the right balance to avoid stifling
• Levelheaded and ability to drive delivery through others, within a dynamic environment.
Behavior & Skills
• Team player, comfortable dealing with all business levels – from director to engineer.
• Ability to communicate confidently and clearly at all levels, with credibility and gravitas (both in written and verbal formats).
• CAD skills: Expert in high-end 3D/2D cad modelling applications – Siemens NX preferred.
• Desirable - Simulation Applications: Experience in 3D engineering simulation – Simulia (Abaqus)/ Anysys or similar.
• Ability to facilitate complex design reviews, drive towards productive outcome & manage project timetable.
• Prepress & Print Production functions.
• Creative & Content functions.
• Project management & operations functions.
• Sustaining, Compliance and materials.
• Procurement & suppliers.
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.