- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
Dyson’s interest in researching and developing energy storage technologies started more than a decade ago, when it became apparent that the full potential of our DDM motors were starting to be held back by commercially available batteries. Fast-forward to 2021, and we now have over 100 scientists and engineers working on battery R&D across our labs in the UK, US and Singapore.
With multiple generations of Dyson battery technologies ranging from early research through the industrialisation phase, Dyson are recruiting a wide range of roles across their UK and Singapore labs to accelerate progress. These roles include materials scientists, electrochemists, cell design engineers, cell test technicians, cell assembly technicians, mechanical design engineers, manufacturing process development engineers and manufacturing technologists. We are recruiting at all levels of seniority up to senior technical leadership roles.
About the role
There is a requirement for a Senior Engineer within the Energy Storage team, to drive development of processes pioneered in research through to pilot scale manufacture. This role is a key part of the team that is going to succeed in overcoming these challenges by combining experience, engineering excellence, and clear thinking with innovative designs to keep Dyson at the leading edge of energy storage technologies.
Initially this role is focused on identifying and de-risking cost effective manufacturing routes for production of materials currently produced on the laboratory scale. Organisation and planning of laboratory and scale-up testing programs will be required to prove out and optimise these novel manufacturing routes, utilising in house capabilities as well as collaborations with third parties.
Key Responsibilities of the role:
- Applicants for this particular role must have significant demonstrable experience in the aforementioned areas, specifically the development of critical processes ready for pilot scale manufacture.
- Responsibilities shall include;
- The review of unit operations and processes identified at a research level, and the development of these to reliable and reproducible process steps, via the use of larger scale equipment
- Planning and organisation of trial programmes, to target efficient and robust proof of concept of manufacturing methods both in house and external
- Review of potential alternative and parallel technology methods to achieve the same aim
- Identify potential methods of manufacture whereby significant cost or quality improvements could be realised
- Working with partners and internal engineers to rapidly prototype solutions for trial & verification
- To lead development projects with partners and collaborators for the prototyping and engineering of equipment.
As a senior employee, the successful applicant would be expected to;
- Develop the concept, proving key technologies and demonstrating the system feasibility
- Prove the production intent solution and create suitable documentation prior to handover to the manufacturing teams and partners
- Demonstrate proposed solutions are safe, robust, cost effective and fit-for-purpose for a high-volume manufacturing environment
- Assist in the personal development of junior team members.
- Degree in a scientific or engineering discipline
- Experience developing processes or products
- Project progression – can demonstrate having taken a product/idea/process from research (early phase) through to prototype on a number of occasions
- Stakeholder management including demonstrated decision influencing
- Product & process engineering for quality & value with demonstrated improvements
- Good understanding of the safety aspects of the proposed processes, and how these change with scale
- Bulk powder handling, in particular the safety requirements around these processes and how these change with scale
- Design & construction of development and Pilot-Line equipment
- Batch & continuous processes
- Multi-stage unit operations; timings & work-flow
- Hazardous and/or complex environments, (e.g. dry / explosive / particulate / vapour)
- Understanding and managing specification and construction of facilities
- Experienced CAD user
- Data acquisition & Processing – Scientific in understanding but engineering in mind-set.
- Proficient in MS Office including Excel
- Statistical process control – Lean Six Sigma type approaches.
- Battery active material development experience would be highly desirable
- Performance related bonus
- Company paid Life Insurance
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Competitive pension scheme
- Flexible benefits programme with a growing range of voluntary benefits, including the ability to purchase additional holidays
- 27 days holiday plus statutory bank holidays
- Free bus travel to and from Malmesbury campus from Bristol, Chippenham and Swindon
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidized café providing endless free coffee and tea, and a free lunch
- Private Medical insurance for all employees
- Employee Assistance Program for employee and dependents
- Digital GP and prescription service
- On-site gym
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.