- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Hullavington Office
Product Experience Designer - HMI
(Product Experience Team)
As a designer within our Product Experience Team, you will be focused on creating and designing how our users interact, understand, and configure their machines. Our team is at the forefront of the design process which means a few things, firstly our designers need to be flexible. It’s our role to communicate to the business our approach to design and the importance of our design process during the ideation stage of our new products. Secondly, it’s to ensure we are user champions, everything we do should make the experience of using our machine better. Whether it be better understood, easier to use, enable discovery of Dyson technologies or simplify the complex within.
You will be designing for our next generation of Dyson products, which means we need to think beyond todays needs and wants from our users. The type of technologies, platforms, and interfaces to design for are ever changing, and it’s our responsibility is to research, explore and define innovative interactions between our machines and their users.
We want to continue to grow our team members who have a wide range and type of experience in on-product, physical interaction methods and control.
About the Role
- Distill user research, insights, and good design practice to create our product interaction methods and features.
- Sketch solutions, build rapid prototypes, test your ideas, and refine your designs with data and user feedback during the design process.
- Securing stakeholder buy-in and sign off for a validated HMI proposition (that can be delivered within the cost and time-frame parameters of the project).
- Be curious, empathetic, and proactive to deliver innovative product experiences through the latest technologies.
- You will champion the product interaction design across several product categories and New Product Innovation at Dyson.
- Identifying opportunities to address our users pain points, problems and identify opportunities through well designed connected features.
- Working collaboratively with teams to prototype our intent, allowing for design validation before any handover to production.
- Be excited to immerse yourself into new topics/projects and technologies and to work with information to connect the dots to form your hypotheses.
- Understanding tech limitations, development constraints and knowing where to push vs. where to adapt solutions to be more pragmatic and deliverable
- Identify the key metrics for the projects you are involved in and take ownership for achieving success, constantly validating and refining.
- Skills in journey mapping, user flows, wireframing, rapid prototyping and visual design skills.
- The ability to think beyond what exists today - pushing the boundaries of our product experiences.
- Experience in industrial, UX, interaction and/or digital user interface design.
- Hardware/software electronics experience (preferable, not essential) – Rapid electronics prototyping (Arduino, Raspberry Pi…).
- Ability to interpret and apply learnings from use-case studies, consumer research, marketing insights, etc.
- Interest in design thinking, interaction design, usability, accessibility, and information design
- Can work independently, prioritize tasks and work effectively on several projects simultaneously.
- Ability to prioritise time between multiple projects, and be flexible by adapting to changing schedules and different projects
- Strong written and oral communication skills, and the ability to communicate our design direction and best practices in a clear, compelling way to sky design stakeholders across the business.
- Degree in Product Design, Human Factors, HCI/HRI, Interaction Design or other field emphasising product interaction, or related work experience in UX design-related role.
- Excited about immersing themselves into new topics, able to work with a lot of information to connect the dots and form hypotheses.
Would like to haves:
- Experience in designing for voice interactions systems.
- Working with and designing for connected home products.
- Conducting and facilitating of usability testing.
- Experience facilitating workshops and focus groups with key stakeholders.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.