- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop world class products for all global markets. By working in our world-class Research and Development facility, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to invent and iterate products which fulfil our ambition of solving the problems that others choose to ignore. With an inquisitive, hands-on and thinking differently approach you will help drive and deliver the next generation of Haircare products whilst managing assembly & project level deliverables.
About the role
As a specialist Senior Requirements Engineer within Haircare New Product Development dept (NPD), you will be joining an innovative and dynamic team, developing the next generation of products in one of Dyson’s fastest growing categories. Working alongside a diverse global team, you will provide our projects with well-defined product, system, and assembly requirements to ensure smooth downstream delivery of projects. At Dyson we’re encouraged to think differently and take a proactive approach to problem solving. We are always looking for creative solutions to the problems others ignore. By joining our world class Research Design and Development department, you will work alongside project leaders, technical specialists and highly motivated creative people.
You will work closely with the Requirements Lead (to improve our team capability and establish best practice in requirements capture), Design Engineers (in distilling technical requirements from their solutions and requirements discovery) Systems Engineers (ensuring requirements fit with system, functional, and assembly structures), Product engineers (completeness, addressing gaps, KPIs), and Project leadership (cross-team engagement.) At times you may be expected to focus on deeper support for a single project or contributing across multiple projects concurrently, depending on priorities/project need.
You will have a good balance of technical and collaborative skills and competencies, as you will be required to distil engineering insights into technical requirements with strong rationales, from effective working with a diverse team of generalist and specialist Engineers within Design Engineering, New Product Innovation, Verification, Electronics and others.
- Define technical requirements (e.g. product, system, assembly), championing excellence in requirements writing, with accurate and impactful wording and strong rationales, and ensuring traceability of requirements (parent/child relationships).
- Take ownership of the process of requirements capture and approval – actively seeking inputs from engineers, reviewing content, addressing issues, and driving to approval.
- Consider the impact of requirements on relevant governance criteria and metrics, including KPIs.
- Provide consulting input where needed in early stage vision and stakeholder requirements, product ‘attributes’, product architecture and systems analysis.
- Support the Requirements Lead or project leads where needed in creation of materials for presentations, reports, gap analyses etc.
- Previous experience as a Requirements Engineer, Systems Engineer or similar, writing requirements at different levels - stakeholder, product, system, sub-system, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a strong understanding of semantics and a knack for achieving precise and unambiguous requirements using ‘plain English’.
- Minimum 3 years of experience working in an engineering environment.
- A working knowledge of fundamental physical theories and general engineering principles.
- Highly motivated, flexible, and comfortable working autonomously and in teams in a fast paced work environment where change is frequent, and we need to respond and adapt accordingly.
- Systems Engineering practitioner.
- Experience in upstream and downstream activities – Defining product vision intent, design rationales, DFMEA, use-case analysis, engineering targets, verification and validation.
- Experience working with integrated mechanical and electronic systems and/or products
- Experience working in PLM systems (Teamcenter preferred) and requirements management systems.
- Performance related bonus
- Company paid Life Assurance
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Competitive pension scheme
- Purchase additional holidays
- 27 days holiday plus statutory bank holidays
- Free bus travel to and from Malmesbury campus from Bristol, Chippenham and Swindon
- On-site parking
- Endless free coffee and tea, and a free lunch
- Free on-site hair salon
- On-site lifestyle Assist
- Electric vehicle scheme
- Private Medical insurance for all employees
- Employee Assistance Program for employee and dependents
- Digital GP and prescription service
- Fertility treatment support
- On-site gym and sports centre
- On-site wellbeing centre
**Please apply with CV and portfolio**
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.