- Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Our research and testing enables us to pioneer new technology by continuously improving and developing our machines. The team is hands-on and integrated, which means you’ll be fully involved in the development process. You’ll generate innovative concepts basedon scientific theory through experimental test and simulation – designing, building and testing prototypes, before analysing performance and communicating findings.
About the roleSupport the Motors & Power Systems Research Team in the evolution of new and existing products, specifically taking a role in the mechanical engineering of our high-speed electric motors. The Senior Mechanical Research Engineer will be expected to take a proactive approach in identifying and evaluating new opportunities across a spectrum of areas particularly focusing on the mechanical design of high-speed turbomachinery. The role would entail developing new tools, and methods to enhance the performance, reliability and time to market of Dyson products.
- Play a key role in the design and optimisation of both the preliminary and the detailed stages of new motor systems, focusing on achieving robust mechanical solutions considering mass manufacturing.
- Develop new technologies and understanding in the mechanical design of turbomachinery generating high-value IP concepts enabling the next generation of motors.
- Generate design requirements and work to international standards.
- Develop in-depth simulation techniques both within the research team and the wider Motors group with associated experimental validation.
- Analyse results, summarise findings and communicate to other members of RDD including senior managers and directors.
- Liaise with development teams to ensure effective transfer of technology into the future product range.
- Ability to transfer knowledge to design engineers & mentor students in the mechanical design of turbomachinery in both new product categories and next generation of Dyson digital motors.
- A degree (2:1 or higher) in Mechanical Engineering, or other relevant engineering discipline.
- Working knowledge and experience in the design and integration of turbomachinery covering a broad aspect of disciplines (mechanical, aerodynamics, electric motor design).
- Experience in the use of Finite Element Modelling in relation to the dynamics of rotating machinery, structural analysis, fatigue/fracture, shock/impact, non-linear materials, etc.
- Working knowledge of aerothermal modelling and electric motor excitations would be beneficial.
- Capable of performing analytical calculations to support higher fidelity work packages.
- Strong foundation in the design of mechanical systems within turbomachinery covering bearings, balancing methods, transmissions, failure mechanisms and associated root cause analysis techniques.
- Capability of developing/building test rigs and running experimental validation programs.
- Methodical approach to analysing and presenting simulation and test data.
- Experience in the use of Siemens NX (or similar CAD packages) and generating engineering drawings to GD & T standards would be an advantage.
- The ability to independently run projects whilst maintaining a collaborative approach with fellow team members.
- Flexible and efficient approach to solve problems using the appropriate level of detail at each stage.
- Good analytical ability and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
- Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values.
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of projects.
- Excellent team-working skills.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.