- Hullavington - United Kingdom
Join a growing team working to put functional advanced robotic solutions into the homes of the general public. We are looking for people to help us investigate robust solutions to diverse real-world problems in machine perception, actuation, and intelligence. The role involves the research and development of systems for Dyson’s future autonomous and intelligent products. Successful candidates will be working in a supportive environment within a team of experts that is constantly aiming to improve itself and the world of robotics.
About the roleShowcasing the cutting-edge robotic technologies of the future involves bringing together talented people who share common ambitious goals and visions, rethinking problems and framing them properly, utilising the right tools and resources, and doing all of this at the right time. That’s our goal: to build a world class robotics team with a focused vision of robots solving concrete problems in the real world.
We are creating a team that is able to work alongside our world-class roboticists to develop innovative software systems that turn theory into practice. It’s our culture of ambition and excellence paired with an enjoyable and healthy work-life balance that makes Dyson different! It’s a place to unleash your passion, ambition, talent and creative ideas to show what robots can do for the world.
Dyson’s Robotics Research Team specialises in creating proof-of-concept systems that utilise state-of-the-art software algorithms, frameworks, techniques, and tooling to provide tangible demonstrations of where robotics technology currently is, where it’s going and how that will influence our future robots. Our aim is to inspire and help guide the exciting vision for the future of our robotics projects and turn that into reality.
We’re looking for a software engineer to help with developing software that runs on our in-house prototype rigs. The ideal candidate would be fluent in writing/testing/debugging C/C++ code for embedded devices interfacing with actuators, sensors and other devices. Moreover, we’re looking for someone fluent at reading electronic schematics and not afraid to use a soldering station or screwdriver – we are building our own robots from the ground up so we need hands-on engineers who are happy to get their hands dirty.
• Developing real time embedded software for pre-production robotic projects.
• Closely collaborating with the high-level software developers and researchers to provide the right interface and the right capabilities.
• Participating in code and design review activities.
• Help build a culture of excellence around software engineering.
• Documenting and communicating software requirements, design and implementation.
• Support SW validation activities using C/C++ and Python based test frameworks.
• Help fix small hardware issues on the robotic platform.
• Degree in engineering or numerate discipline or equivalent industry experience.
• Strong background in real time embedded C.
• A good understanding of basic hardware and the interfaces with software systems.
• Software engineering management tools (source control, continuous integration).
• Ability to plan and estimate development tasks.
• Experience with software verification strategies.
• Exposure to Python programming.
• Experience in bare-metal microcontroller software development.
• Experience of planning and working within an Agile Framework.
• Good Experience of Python programming.
• Experience with ROS 1 & 2 and DDS based middleware systems.
• Experience with Software Containerisation technology (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes).
• Knowledge of control systems.
• Mechanical & Electronics Hardware development knowledge.
• 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
• Pension scheme
• Performance related bonus
• Private medical insurance
• Life assurance
• Sport centre
• Free on-site parking
• Subsidised café and restaurants
• Discounts on Dyson machines#LI-DYSON
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.