- Science and Research
- United Kingdom - Hullavington Office
This is an opportunity to drive Dyson's ambitious robotics research programme forward by planning, designing, and developing cutting-edge machine-learning algorithms to solve problems in real-world robotics. The role involves the research and development of systems for Dyson’s future autonomous and intelligent products.
You will be working in a highly multidisciplinary team covering topics including Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Robot Control, Mechatronics and Electronics, Human-Robot Interaction: all with the backdrop of a friendly and multi-cultural work environment.
About the role
Advanced robotics will change the world of engineering for good. At Dyson, we have been developing robot technology for over 20 years - 200 engineers, 420 patents and £28m has already gone into our first robot vacuum. But this is just the start of the domestic robotics revolution. The team is advancing the systems that make our robots more intelligent, adaptable, and physically capable.
Dyson seeks applicants who have first-hand experience of applied machine learning for visual perception. We seek people with initiative, creativity, and the ability to learn fast, along with a cross-section of skills that will contribute to the company.
As a growing team, working at the forefront of robotics research, candidates for all job openings are expected to:
- Be good communicators capable of explaining complex concepts clearly and succinctly
- Work in a tightly coupled, cross-functional and multi-cultural team environment
- Work autonomously under limited supervision to achieve big-picture goals
- Develop machine learning models aimed at solving real-world robotic perception problems in dynamic, open-world (or open-set) environments.
- Maintain awareness of emerging techniques in the field of machine learning
- Implement state-of-the-art algorithms (e.g. from internally developed, open source, and published papers) and perform thorough quantitative evaluation to assess suitability and robustness for Dyson’s future products
- Develop software (in Python or C++), and integrate into prototype robotics systems
- PhD (or equivalent industrial research experience) using machine learning applied to practical perception problems
- Solid, demonstrable understanding of fundamental machine learning theory.
- Experience using modern machine learning frameworks (e.g. PyTorch, TensorFlow)
- Experience in applying machine learning to real world problems
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team
- Strong proficiency developing machine learning techniques in Python and/or C++
- Experience developing and deploying software in a Linux environment
- 2+ years applied robotics experience
- Experience with Robot Operating System (ROS)
- Experience with git and developing software as part of a team
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.