- Science and Research
- United Kingdom - Hullavington Office
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge - more categories, more locations and more people. We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas - unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
About the role
This is an opportunity to drive Dyson's ambitious robotics research programme forward by planning, designing, and developing cutting-edge robotics perception & localisation systems to solve problems in real world robotics. The role involves the research and development of systems for Dyson’s future autonomous and intelligent products.
You will be working in a highly multidisciplinary team covering topics including Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Robot Control, Mechatronics and Electronics, Human-Robot Interaction, all with the backdrop of friendly and multi-cultural work environment.
Advanced robotics will change the world of engineering for good. At Dyson, we’ve been developing robot technology for over 20 years - 200 engineers, 420 patents and £28m has already gone into our first robot vacuum. But this is just the start of the domestic robotics revolution. The team is advancing the systems that make our robots more intelligent, adaptable and physically capable.
Dyson seeks applicants who have first-hand experience of applied robotics and a portfolio of robotics projects. We seek people with initiative, creativity, and the ability to learn fast, along with a cross-section of skills that will make a contribution to the company.
As a growing team working at the forefront of robotics research, candidates for all job openings are expected to:
Be good communicators capable of explaining complex concepts clearly and succinctly.
Work in a tightly coupled, cross-functional and multi-cultural team environment.
Work autonomously under limited supervision to achieve big-picture goals.
- Design, implement and evaluate novel sensing solutions for Dyson’s next generation robotic platforms, to address real world robotic challenges.
- Prototype solutions in simulation and in hardware to perform thorough quantitative evaluation to assess suitability and robustness.
- Seek out, understand and resolve the challenging edge cases that arise when operating in real-world domestic environments.
- Work within multidisciplinary team to design systems that take into account the physical, computational and cost constraints of the target platform.
- Develop software in C++ and Python, and deploy & test on prototype/target hardware.
- Maintain awareness of emerging technologies within robotics, and keep up to date with industry best practices and trends.
What you must have:
- Higher degree (or equivalent industrial experience) in robotics or related disciplines, applied to practical robotics sensing and perception problems.
- Experience using a range of proprioceptive and exteroceptive sensing technologies, with a good understanding of their characteristics, limitations and combination.
- Experience designing, developing, deploying and testing proof of concept hardware and software prototypes.
- Experience with 3D obstacle avoidance, state estimation, platform kinematics, sensor fusion and filtering.
- Self motivation and an ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Experience with robotics simulation (e.g. Gazebo, PyBullet)
- Proficiency in C++, Python, and ROS (Robot Operating System) and other open-source libraries and tools.
- Experience developing and deploying software in a Linux environment using modern development practices.
- Hands on experience in applied robotics.
- Experience working with highly articulated mobile robots operating within complex real-world environments.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Inspiring working spaces with a dedicated state-of-the-art facility in the heart of the Wiltshire countryside
- Pension scheme
- Performance related discretionary bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.