- Science and Research
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
Dyson is a fast-paced and global technology company focused on solving the hard problems which enable us to launch innovative new products. We now have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Engineer in the UK arm of the Measurement & Analysis Capability Group.
Our MAC Group sits within Product Systems Engineering, itself a part of the Global Technology Development Department. The 12 of us in our software-heavy, interdisciplinary team work together to invent the tools that engineers and scientists across our department and the wider business need to deliver the amazing products which Dyson is famous for. It’s not easy, but the challenge is fun, the environment is supportive and there are endless opportunities to learn and coach – it’s a fantastic team.
We tackle projects on a spectrum from cross-department enabling capability (for example providing custom pressure and temperature measurement to RDD), right through to direct project support – helping to navigate the challenges of the recently-released V15 dust detection system, for example. In our portfolio, you’ll see examples such as the measurement and blower system for our anechoic chambers, and the data platform we have for our global salon and home trials – as well as support for a myriad of exciting, secret Dyson products.
Walk around our team on any given day and you might see us coding in Python, LabVIEW or C++; designing PCBs in Altium Designer; processing trial data in Pandas; writing cloud functions for GCP; analysing videos with OpenCV; designing an enclosure in NX or creating a GUI in React. The list goes on, and we pride ourselves on working smartly and with agility to solve difficult problems for the benefit of our colleagues. We play to our strengths; we don’t expect everyone to be skilled in everything, but we have a growth mindset and we’re not afraid to try, fail and learn.
About the role
This is a varied role, and we will match your responsibilities with your skills. But core to the position is:
- Developing software applications in LabVIEW and Python to support the development of critical projects within the team.
- Working with engineers and designers to understand the challenge they are facing, and collaboratively proposing a viable solution to it
- Owning a project. Managing the project and stakeholders by maintaining a clear breakdown of work based on using JIRA Agile.
- Contribute to the success of the team by for example joining in with architecture design sessions, reviewing pull requests and sharing your knowledge in team meetings and in ad-hoc situations.
- Mentoring others in the team where appropriate, including undergraduates of the Dyson Institute.
We hope you’d like to join us. Your story will be unique, and the successful candidate will ideally have:
- A strong degree in Engineering or Physics
- Experience programming in LabVIEW, roughly to CLD level.
- Experience programming in Python, ideally also with UI development experience.
- Experience interfacing to sensors over I2C, SPI, UART.
- Experience working with git, branching workflows, JIRA.
- Skills in one or more of PCB design, mechanical design, data processing, machine vision, IoT, cloud technologies.
- A desire for elegant solutions to problems, to enjoy discussing software architecture with colleagues. Views on OOP.
- A desire to learn and grow, to challenge convention.
- The confidence to speak your mind and the desire to tackle and break down difficult technical challenges.
- Performance related bonus
- Company paid Life Insurance
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Competitive pension scheme
- Flexible benefits programme with a growing range of voluntary benefits, including the ability to purchase additional holidays
- 27 days holiday plus statutory bank holidays
- Free bus travel to and from Malmesbury campus from Bristol, Chippenham and Swindon
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidized café providing endless free coffee and tea, and a free lunch
- Private Medical insurance for all employees
- Employee Assistance Program for employee and dependents
- Digital GP and prescription service
- On-site gym
- Electrical vehicle lease scheme options
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.