- Design and Development
- Singapore - St James Power Station Headquarters
We own and develop the MyDyson smart home app, which is at the forefront of Dyson's IoT experience. We are proud of what we have built so far; we have an App Store and Google Play rating of 4.6 and 4.3 stars respectively, we have more than 1 million active users worldwide and our IoT platform has over 3 million connected Dyson machines. We have huge ambition to grow this platform and as we connect more machines from more categories the challenge is significant.
There are currently 9 scrum teams working on the app, located in the UK, Poland and Singapore, each with up to 8 software engineers specialised in iOS development, Android development or mobile testing/automation, plus a scrum master and product owner. We all come from a variety of educational backgrounds and experience levels; not all of us are computer science graduates. We believe that teams composed of people from diverse backgrounds are more successful and innovative.
Our teams have the autonomy to manage their own work using frameworks such as Scrum or Kanban, each honing their ways of working through regular retrospectives and knowledge sharing. We all share a commitment to creating high-quality code, and engineers choose to follow practices such as pair programming, mobbing, and test-driven development. We also regularly share our knowledge and interests peer-to-peer through our developer Communities, which have led to the adoption of new technologies and improved cross-team collaboration.
We often need to interact with people from different parts of the business, such as embedded software and the cloud teams, so we plan in 5-sprint ‘increments’, based on the best bits of the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe). This gives us more visibility of upcoming work while remaining responsive, and allows us to collaborate effectively with other teams within our 15,000-person organisation.
About the role
We are on the lookout for a Senior Software Engineering Manager. As the most senior member of the App team in Singapore, you would provide technical and strategic leadership across the app scrum teams located in Singapore. Communication, collaboration, self-evaluation and a desire to improve are second nature to you, and you value good software engineering and agile practices and have a proven track record in heading up multiple agile teams delivering to a variety of stakeholders.
- Fostering an inclusive, supportive and productive environment that leads to success.
- Working with the Software Engineering Managers in each of the App scrum teams to ensure there is consistency in our approach and robust support for all the teams to enable them to deliver the commitments they have made.
- In addition to conducting 1:1s with your Software Engineering Managers to help them progress toward their career goals and evaluating their performance, you will also be supporting and coaching them in the performance management of their team.
- Setting a clear vision for the teams and crafting a strategic growth plan for the overall team to ensure comprehensive development and success across the organization.
- Partnering with your Senior Engineering Manager peers to ensure effective collaboration within the teams and collaboratively make decisions that prioritize the team's best interests.
- Working with the Head of App and the App Management team to agree and deliver the broader App objectives and goals across the global app organisation.
- Liaising with key members of the wider Software group based in Singapore to agree location-based decisions that affect the App teams
- Identifying new technologies, tools and working practices to help continually improve standards.
Minimally 10 years of experience in Software/App development with 4 years of people management experience.
You’re interested in how technology can improve the environments people live in
You’re a collaborative person that believes in the Agile principles and how they can help empowered teams deliver the best software
You’ve contributed to mobile applications that have delighted their users, as a developer or test engineer
You’re passionate about learning new things and sharing those things with others
You know how to get the best work out of people, understanding the part played by motivations and working environment
You get satisfaction from solving real-world problems with well-crafted software
Dyson Singapore monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and bonuses. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy a transport allowance and comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition.
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.