- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
Overview – Role:
This role holder is responsible for providing strategic Sustainability leadership, challenge and direction across Dyson’s product roadmaps. to reduce the environmental footprint of Dyson products, demonstrating an exemplary level of passion, energy and commitment.
You will lead the development of sustainability metrics to enable measurement of success of the Sustainability strategy.
You will work across the global business operations, to increase engagement, awareness and participation in sustainability challenges and initiatives, to achieve the corporate goals of improved environmental performance.
The role is to be an internal and external vocal advocate supporting Dyson on a best in class journey towards environmental stewardship and sustainability.
Reporting into our Head of Sustainability – Environmental Impact as part of the global Dyson Sustainability team this role will have specific focus on Dyson products, across every category.
- To define and implement overarching company sustainability strategies with regards to improving Dyson’s environmental impact.
- Translating future Product Sustainability Strategy into product & Category level targets.
- Defining both short-term tactical goals and long-term strategic goals, utilising the wider teams subject matter expertise and environmental sustainability affairs experience.
- Develop the environmental strategy to reduce the product related footprint, across category and commodity groups, including; research, development, manufacturing, through to products in use.
- Monitor and report on emerging global environmental environmental trends and regulation directions to feed into future Dyson strategies, including the product roadmaps, working alongside the RDD teams to define the future improvement plans.
- Uses position to influence research & NPI on future product development in the area of Sustainability
- Working with public affairs and legal teams, to drive policy development, and corporate risk and opportunity assessments, both internal and external to Dyson.
- Working with the global communication teams to identify and develop corporate and product level messaging on environmental programmes.
- Monitor and participate in external Sustainability thought leader groups, from leadership conferences to legislative committees and industry collaboration programmes.
- Be sustainability product affairs subject matter expert and train, guide and mentor others in Dyson, disseminating knowledge, best practice and standards.
- Develop and maintain product sustainability education material for Dyson employees.
- Responsible for keeping up to date with global environmental and social standards and legislation.
- Challenge and develop best practise, contributing to tool and process improvements within Dyson.
- Challenge and shape regulations as demanded by product innovation. Resolve complex technical problems where precedents do not exist.
- Providing insight from data, measuring performance and completing gap analysis against industry indices and best practice.
- Aligned to Dysons High Performance culture, mentoring & educating the wider teams in opportunities & importance in the area of Sustainability.
- 5+ years’ experience of leading technology research and development programmes.
- Experience in the field of lean engineering, developing and running complex multinational programmes, leading and influencing senior stakeholders.
- In depth knowledge of Systems engineering, product development, material science and manufacturing processes.
- Experience working with conflict minerals is a strong advantage.
- Knowledge of Environmental life cycle assessment methodologies, target setting and progress tracking.
- Implementing global standards.
- Evidence of delivering programs of work, project management responsibilities.
- Strong organisational skills with a methodical and detailed approach.
- Ability to promote sustainable thinking at design level.
- International work experience is beneficial.
- An excellent understanding of environmental impacts associated with multi-national design and manufacturing, of both mechanical and electronics and the potential for a circular economy.
- Strong technical ability in environmental impact assessment and carbon foot-printing for products and buildings is beneficial.
- Market knowledge of the drivers of sustainable product design and the circular economy.
- An excellent understanding of key environmental legislation, policy and issues is beneficial.
- Strong team working capabilities and an ability to be flexible.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence when interacting with others.
- Strong attention to detail and an ability to apply knowledge to practical situations.
- Strong organisational and numerical skills are essential.
- Involvement with standards working groups/ trade associations/ external bodies.
- Experience of working with external organisations, interpreting & managing technical data files.
- Excellent communication and reporting skills and the ability to liaise, influence and motivate others at all levels within the business.
- Experience of successfully implementing management systems and KPI’s.
- Experience of understanding and working to regulatory policies, with further experience in influencing regulatory policy being beneficial.
Qualifications / Professional Memberships:
- Educated to degree level (scientific/engineering based).
- Demonstrable continuing professional development.
- Professional membership of a relevant professional body e.g. Institute of Environmental Science (IES), Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA), Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM) or similar is beneficial.
- An ability to understand key discussions and contribute to thought leadership in the field, e.g. through contributing ideas and articles to IEMA is beneficial.
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.