- Energy storage
- Malmesbury, United Kingdom
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
Our Energy Storage team are responsible for new battery technology that will deliver significantly better performance than conventional battery cells. We’re leading the way with research into new battery architectures, materials, chemistries and cell designs.
About the role
The Technical Research Team aims to design state-of-the-art products allowing us to differentiate our products from the competition. Dyson is expanding into several new and exciting product categories and is positioning itself as a technology company. Successful applicants for this role will form a critical part of the team driving these products and others forward. Dyson has state-of-the-art R&D laboratory facilities to support the development and testing of novel battery designs. Continued expansion of our activities has created an exciting opportunity within the team for an individual who is keen to get hands on with the development of the next generation of batteries.
Dyson requires a skilled and highly motivated technician to help it achieve its current and long-term battery ambitions and support its RDD lab activities. You will:
- Be heavily focused on hands on laboratory work and receive necessary training to understand the R&D process for Li-ion batteries.
- Work within an energetic research environment focused on innovation.
- Assist with the fabrication and testing of R&D test cells (Pouch and coin cells) with a high degree of reproducibility.
- Support with the design and production of cell components, including the optimisation of equipment where necessary.
- Carry out routine physical and chemical analysis on new samples.
- Ensure all the relevant documents; process, COSHH, methodology and data records are updated as required.
- Ensure safe disassembly of test vehicles and disposal and storage of spent chemicals.
- Assist monitoring and replenishment of lab chemicals and other consumables items as required.
- Take responsibility for organising routine maintenance, stock checks and replenishment and ordering of laboratory consumables.
- Good track record for attention to detail and record keeping.
- Good organisational, planning and time management skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills exemplified by the ability to diagnose and rectify problems including independently
- Experience with the use of Microsoft Office programs (Word and Excel).
- Competent numeracy skills.
- An understanding and experience of good lab practice, including health and safety requirements including COSHH and risk assessment.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner.
- HND/ A-levels (Maths; Chemistry; Physics) or Degree in a Science discipline (Physics; Electrical Engineering; Chemistry, Biology etc.)
- Ability to adapt, modify and validate standard operating procedures.
- Experience of working in a workshop environment.
- Experience with battery or electrochemical device testing.
- Some knowledge of electrochemical engineering and battery technologies.
- Ideally experience working in a battery prototyping environment.
Benefits• 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays • Pension scheme • Performance related bonus • Life assurance • Sport centre • Free on-site parking • Subsidised café and restaurants • Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.