- Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop state of the art products for the global market. Located in our world-class research, design and development (RDD) department, these individuals will work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people to develop products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
Vacuum cleaners are at the core of the Dyson brand and here in the Floorcare Research team we are challenged with envisioning the future and making it a reality through pioneering scientific endeavour. We are currently expanding to support our growing ambitions and portfolio of products. We are looking for an enthusiastic individual who can bring their technical skills and contribute to our future success.
About the roleAs a Senior Technician in the Floorcare Research team, the role involves working alongside our engineers to enhance the build and test of Floorcare products across a diverse range of technologies in development. Research at Dyson is hands-on, fast paced and collaborative. We are looking for the right person who has a great attention to detail, is eager to learn and is an accomplished communicator.
- Support our engineers to develop pioneering technologies that fulfil our ambitions in Floorcare
- Use your expertise in fabrication to complete the design and build of prototypes and experimental test rigs
- Advise on and undertake electrical/electronic wiring and instrumentation
- Undertake experimental testing of new concepts under the guidance of Dyson engineers
- Accurately document designs, methods and test results to a high standard
- Own and maintain selected lab equipment, ensuring appropriate calibration is up to date
- Ensure all the relevant documents; process, COSHH, methodology and data records, are updated as required
- Work on their own initiative to solve problems, manage workload and meet deadlines
- Contribute to the inventive process by actively seeking better ways of doing things and sharing ideas with the team
- Enthusiastic about technology and the research process and a can-do attitude
- Experienced in fabrication of a wide range of materials, fixtures and fittings
- Competent at electrical/electronic wiring and control systems (key advantage)
- Knowledgeable in instrumentation, signal types and data handling
- Good track record for attention to detail and record keeping
- Good organisational, planning and time management skills
- Strong problem-solving skills exemplified by the ability to diagnose and rectify problems independently
- Experience with the use of Microsoft Office programs (Word and Excel, Competent numeracy skills
- An appreciation of good lab practice, including health and safety, COSHH and risk assessment
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner.
- HND / A-levels in a STEM discipline (Maths; Physics; Mechanical Engineering; Electronics) or equivalent
- Ability to adapt, modify and validate standard test procedures
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.