- Science and Research
- Malaysia - Development Centre
This position sits within the Measurement & Analysis Capability (MAC) Group, part of a highly creative and dynamic Global Technology Development (GTD) department that drives the performance of Dyson products to the edge of what’s possible.
The MAC Group enhances the development of new technologies across all Dyson product categories by delivering advanced measurement and analysis capabilities. We practice a blend of software, mechanical and electrical/electronic expertise to innovate full-stack platforms for data acquisition, analysis or research that is used by Dyson engineers all over the world. We regularly work with Raspberry Pis, Arduinos, and hardware from National Instruments. We write software in Python, LabVIEW, and C; we design mechanical components and fixtures; we design custom PCBAs; and sometimes work with external suppliers to deliver measurement and analysis capabilities.
The MAC Group also engages in the development of cutting edge multi-disciplinary product technologies, where our inter-disciplinary skillset helps to bring an idea to fruition.
About the role
The role of the Senior Measurement & Analysis Capability Engineer will be top secret, interesting and varied but he/she will spend most of his/her time conceptualising, designing, and implementing measurement and/or analysis systems. The Senior Measurement & Analysis Capability Engineer should have a high level of knowledge and experience in one or a combination of the relevant disciplines (software, mechanical, electrical/electronic), with a solid foundation and understanding of the others. The Senior Measurement & Analysis Capability Engineer will play a hands-on role in delivering team objectives, and may mentor junior engineers from time to time.
- Deliver measurement and analysis capabilities that meet specifications and requirements independently with minimal supervision
- Apply multi-disciplinary expertise to proactively generate ideas, solve problems and offer solutions to technical challenges on a day-to-day basis
- Lead or collaborate with engineers and specialists from a wide variety of technical disciplines to deliver objectives
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with other teams globally
- Liaise with external suppliers to define and deliver objectives
- Actively participate in design/code reviews
- Identify risks before they arise and suggest monitoring and mitigation plans
- Mentor and guide junior engineers
- Communicate and document progress or technical information in verbal and written forms
- Contribute to the advancement of the team/department by improving existing capabilities and methods or develop new ones
- Adhere to best practices in the team
- You could be a good fit for our team if you are:
- Passionate about problem solving and good design
- Always challenging the status quo, coming up with solutions to difficult problems
- Constantly tinkering and investigating new technologies as a hobby
- Curious, eager to learn, and unafraid to venture into the unknown
- Highly driven, enjoy challenges and strive to get the best results
To be successful in this role you will need:
- A strong bachelor degree/master’s degree/PhD in a relevant technical discipline (computer science, data science, electrical/electronics, mechanical, mechatronics engineering, etc.)
- Experience working in an R&D environment practicing relevant technical discipline(s) with technical leadership roles
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- Excellent cost-benefit judgement
- Excellent English language communication and presentation skills
- Excellent collaboration and inter-personal skills
The exact mix of skills and knowledge you bring is expected to vary based on your background. All of the following are desirable, but you’re not expected to fit everything (although it would be great if you did!):
- Application of cloud computing, IoT platforms and fleet management tools like Google Cloud Processing, InfluxDB, Balena and Docker
- Mechanical design of test and measurement systems consisting of metallic and plastic components
- Familiarity with machining, injection moulding, and rapid prototyping processes
- Electrical systems, electronic circuit and PCBA design
- Familiarity with agile practices and Atlassian tools
- Familiarity with Systems Engineering concepts and tools
- Data acquisition knowledge and techniques especially using National Instruments products
- Selection and application of measurement instruments and sensors (optical, inductive, ultrasonic etc.)
- Selection and application of actuators and motion control hardware (VFDs, servo and stepper motors, linear actuators, etc.)
- Knowledge and application of control systems
Dyson Malaysia monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and bonuses. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy a transport allowance and comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition.
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.