- Design and Development
- Poland - Krakow Office
We own and develop the Dyson Link Smart home app, which is at the forefront of Dyson's IoT experience. We are proud of what we have built so far; we have an App Store and Google Play rating of 4.5 and 4.3 stars respectively, we have more than 1 million active users worldwide and our IoT platform has over 4 million connected Dyson machines. We have huge ambition to grow this platform and as we connect more machines from more categories the challenge is significant.
We have App teams located across the UK, Singapore and Poland. We all come from a variety of educational backgrounds and experience levels; not all of us are computer science graduates. We believe that teams composed of people from diverse backgrounds are more successful and innovative.
Our teams have the autonomy to manage their own work using Scrum or Kanban frameworks, each honing their ways of working through regular retrospectives and knowledge sharing. We all share a commitment to creating high-quality code, and engineers choose to follow practices such as pair programming, mobbing, and test-driven development. We also regularly share our knowledge and interests peer-to-peer through ‘community meetings’, which have led to the adoption of new technologies and improved cross-team collaboration.
Mutual trust and respect between team members is important to build a supportive environment where people can do their best work. Our teams understand themselves well enough to make decisions about how they work; everyone’s contribution is vital.
Besides being software professionals, we are also people who enjoy playing online or board games, heading out to lunchtime yoga classes, recording our latest run on Strava or just catching up over coffee. The last year has been a challenge, but we have maintained and strengthened our culture while working through the various lockdowns with virtual events, an informal team newsletter and an empathetic attitude to the needs of individuals.
About the role
We are on the lookout for Test Engineers to join our mobile app team at Dyson. Communication, collaboration, self-evaluation and a desire to improve are second nature to you, and you value good engineering practises. You understand the need to deliver robust, testable code balanced against the need to deliver fast.
Android: Our automated UI tests are written in Kotlin using the Espresso framework with Kakao.
iOS: Our automated UI tests are written in Swift using XCUITest.
Unit and UI tests are written as part of each story to ensure we maintain an up to date and comprehensive set of automated tests with no test debt. We complement our automated tests with exploratory testing, involving both developers and testers in order to uncover issues quickly.
What you'll be doing:
- Working with your fellow engineers to contribute to features and improvements to our Dyson Link app, ensuring they are tested, robust and scalable
- Working with colleagues from other disciplines, including developers, product owners, Scrum Masters, UX/UI designers, and software engineers in our cloud and embedded teams
- Sharing knowledge within the app team to develop your skills and competencies and those of your teammates
- You are familiar with using Charles or a similar tool
- Coaching more junior colleagues
- Identifying new technologies, tools and approaches to help continually improve standards and quality
- Writing UI automation tests
- Coordinating exploratory testing sessions
- Reporting on, monitoring and triaging bugs
- Identifying and implementing way to improveme quality within your team
- Keeping the scrum team focused on a quality first mindset
- You are a person who provides valuable input to refinements and three amigos an help carve out the Acceptance Criteria
- You naturally are curious and ask questions
- You are passionate about testing early and often and promote that within your team
- You encourage better working practices within your team
- You understand how an app communicates with endpoints and maybe even products
- You’re a collaborative person that believes in the Agile principles and how they can help empowered teams deliver the best software
- You can contributed UI test code to commercial projects
- You’re passionate about learning new things and sharing those things with others
- You embrace change and can be flexible in your approach to problems
- You like to share skills through pairing and coaching
- Performance related bonus
- Life Assurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Pension scheme with competitive employer contributions
- Recognition Program
- Holiday Allowance
- Free fruit delivered for office staff, free coffee and tea
- Cafeteria Benefit – wellness programme, cinema tickets, Multisport card etc.
- Possibility of working from home
- Medical: Employee cover + opportunity to buy additional cover for family
- Employee Assistance Program for employee and dependents
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.