- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re driven by progress and thrive on the challenge of relentless improvement. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.
Within Dyson Research we define what’s next. At the very start of the new product ideas chain lays the technologies that enable them. Dyson Research delivers the long term support to the global company growth through technology innovation in our state of the art Wiltshire campuses. Our New Product Innovation team relies on the development of key technologies for new innovative products, after which the New Product Development team carries them through to manufacturing; Dyson Research not only delivers the birth of new technologies but also supports those technologies through to their realisation and integration within a product.
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Thermal Engineer to work within our Motors Simulation and Analysis Team, to apply their skills and experience in Heat transfer, Aerodynamics and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) to deliver our next generation motors. He/she will also use analytical techniques to add insight into experimental results, driving early development concepts, supporting projects with appropriate technology readiness and advancement. In addition the candidate will be expected to continually improve and develop simulation and optimisation techniques and methodologies enhancing of Motors and Power Systems group capabilities.
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop market leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research, Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, making products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Generate innovative concepts for new technologies using analytical techniques including CFD and experiments.
- Responsible for all activities related to thermal development and delivery of motor prototypes for validation and product teams, which will include: testing, analysis of test results, fault analysis, and problem solving.
- Responsible to develop air paths and cooling options for mechanical, electrical and electronic components of the motor system to achieve robustness and high performance.
- Responsible for supporting implementation of design concepts from component design through finished assembly. This would include analysis, product concepts, dimensional verification, and general demonstration of the use of core engineering disciplines.
- Responsible for leading the development of design concepts through prototype hardware procurement, assembly, testing, data analysis, fault analysis, problem solving, and design refinement. This may require some direction of technical support personnel.
- Considers and seeks out the impact of his/her actions within the team. Actively seeks collaboration with internal and external team members
- Ability and engagement in transferring experience and training to design engineers and junior specialists – best-practices establishing and sharing.
- Liaise with research/development/production teams to ensure effective transfer and integration of technology into future product range.
- Performs other duties as requested, directed or assigned.
- A first degree or Masters in Aeronautical or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent (other relevant engineering disciplines will be considered). Preferably at least 3 years of industrial experience in relevant field.
- Ability to perform thermodynamic heat transfer calculations and proficient in the theory of thermodynamics, aerodynamics and fluid dynamics.
- Having a high degree of expertise in 1D and 3D thermo-fluids analysis
- Good understanding of the principles and application of CFD (previous experience in ANSYS CFD and Star CCM+ tools would be an advantage)
- Good understanding of experimental techniques, particularly with regard to pressure, temperature and flow measurement.
- Have the ability to review results and direct recommendations for problem resolution to the expectation of the client.
- Maintain a keen awareness of industry trends, and new developments in order to apply the correct level of technology.
- Good working knowledge of MS Office and MATLAB.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- private medical insurance
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.