- Design and Development
- Singapore - Advanced Manufacturing
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop market leading products for the global market. By working in our world-class research, design and development (RDD) department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
About the role
Dyson offers an exciting opportunity for a permanent Software Engineer to join our multidisciplinary Motor Drive and Advanced Control (MDAC) team developing motors and heaters for Dyson’s cord-free floor care and personal care range of products.
The MDAC team is part of Dyson’s Global Hardware organisation and brings together deep, specialist knowledge and skill sets to design and develop control algorithms and electromagnetic designs for use across a wide range of Dyson products.
This is a global team with over 70 engineers based in the UK, Singapore, Malaysia and the Philippines. Examples of the work of MDAC include the electromagnetic and control system design of the Dyson Digital Motor, wide-ranging motion control schemes utilising commercial motors, heater control schemes and more specialist control systems and algorithms such as power control, battery pack state of charge and state of health. The team works from early development through to the production of our designs.
- Develop and maintain real time embedded software for our world leading Dyson Digital Motors and other advanced control systems. Develop software for test systems to enable automated production testing including motor production line tune and test and power electronics hardware test. This will involve independent working and close collaboration with other team disciplines in UK and SEA on the implementation and modification of novel control schemes within the constraints of low-cost microcontrollers.
- Contribute to software component development, driving their design, development, and validation though to mass volume production.
- Support the MDAC software team through software validation to ensure that all released software is fully functional and fit for purpose. This will include code peer review, emulator validation and full system validation.
- Document software requirements, design, implementation and test plans.
- Support the software team through the software release process and change management systems through the preparation of high-quality documentation of either your own work or that of others.
- Be responsible for embedded software aspects of failure analysis: completing root cause analysis of any failures of the motor or associated drive and control system at both product and motor level.
- Be able to apply your skills to other areas of work and tasks within the business as may be required of you on occasion for the benefit of the wider team. This could include, but is not limited to, supplier liaison for issue resolution or audit, engineering design work, test rig building and production equipment commissioning.
- Degree in electrical/electronic/software engineering or equivalent qualification or demonstrable experience of equivalent-level working.
- Strong background in real time embedded C and Python.
- A good understanding of basic hardware and its interface with software systems.
- Software configuration management (source control, continuous integration).
- Ability to plan and estimate development tasks.
- Strong communication and team working skills to be able to form a bridge between multiple teams of different disciplines working on a single, integrated product across multiple global sites.
- Be able to clearly report progress in meetings together with producing a high standard of documentation.
These are desirable but not essential
- Some professional experience in a relevant industry.
- Experience with software verification strategies including unit testing.
- Experience with triaging of issues/problems and narrowing down to smaller components.
- Knowledge of low-cost microcontrollers to enable the selection and integration of the most appropriate device for any given application.
- Familiarity of low-level embedded microcontroller-based control and operation of brushless motors (e.g. permanent magnetic brushless DC motor, switch reluctance motor) and the topology of the motor drive hardware system to allow creativity in the implementation of motor control schemes.
- Knowledge of control systems and power electronics circuitry.
- Proficient in the use of LabView and Microsoft Visual Studio to be able to maintain existing and create new programs.
- Experience of working in a matrix organization and within an Agile framework. Knowledge of Agile software development methodologies and tools such as GIT.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and bonuses. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy a transport allowance and comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition.
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.