- Design and Development
- Poland - Krakow Office
We own and develop the MyDyson smart home app, which is at the forefront of Dyson's IoT and customer experience. We are proud of what we have built so far, which includes an App Store and Google Play rating of 4.5 and 4.3 stars respectively. We have more than 1 million active users worldwide and our IoT platform has over 4 million connected Dyson machines. We have huge ambition to grow this platform and as we support more machines from more categories the challenge is significant.
We have App teams located across the UK, Singapore and Poland. We all come from a variety of educational backgrounds and experience levels; not all of us are computer science graduates. We believe that teams composed of people from diverse backgrounds are more successful and innovative.
Our teams have the autonomy to manage their own work using frameworks such as Scrum or Kanban, each honing their ways of working through regular retrospectives and knowledge sharing. We all share a commitment to creating high-quality code, and engineers choose to follow practices such as pair programming, mobbing, and test-driven development. We also regularly share our knowledge and interests peer-to-peer through our developer Communities, which have led to the adoption of new technologies and improved cross-team collaboration.
We often need to interact with people from different parts of the business, such as embedded software and the cloud teams, so we plan in 5-sprint ‘increments’, based on the best bits of the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe). This gives us more visibility of upcoming work while remaining responsive, and allows us to collaborate effectively with other teams within our 15,000-person organisation.
Mutual trust and respect between team members is important to build a supportive environment where people can do their best work. Our teams understand themselves well enough to make decisions about how they work; everyone’s contribution is vital.
Besides being software professionals, we are also people who enjoy playing online or board games, heading out to lunchtime yoga classes, recording our latest run on Strava or just catching up over coffee. The last year has been a challenge, but we have maintained and strengthened our culture while working through the various lockdowns with virtual events, an informal team newsletter and an empathetic attitude to the needs of individuals.
About the role
We are on the lookout for Engineering Managers to lead teams of mobile app engineers at Dyson. Communication, collaboration, self-evaluation and a desire to improve are second nature to you, and you value good software engineering practices. You understand the need to deliver quality, alongside the need to deliver efficiently.
What you’ll be doing if you join us -
- Working with your team to contribute features and improvements to the Dyson Link app, ensuring they are robust, scalable and covered by tests
- Conducting 1:1s with your team members, setting objectives that develop them towards their career goals, and evaluating their performance
- Instilling a test-first attitude in our developers; helping our test engineers to write better code
- Helping define and execute on a test strategy that ensures we deliver quality software
- Working with your Engineering Manager peers to ensure teams are collaborating effectively and that the right choices are made
- Working with everyone in the wider team: TPOs, Scrum Masters, cloud developers, UX/UI designers and embedded software engineers
- Working with scrum masters on team development and monitoring metrics to assess progress
- Working with TPOs and other stakeholders to assess risks and dependencies to aid decision making
- Identifying new technologies and tools to help continually improve standards
- You’re interested in how technology can improve the environments people live in
- You’re a collaborative person that believes in the Agile principles and how they can help empowered teams deliver the best software
- You’ve contributed to mobile applications that have delighted their users, as a developer or test engineer
- You’re passionate about learning new things and sharing those things with others
- You know how to get the best work out of people, understanding the part played by motivations and working environment
- You get satisfaction from solving real-world problems with well-crafted software
- Performance related bonus
- Life Assurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Pension scheme with competitive employer contributions
- Recognition Program
- Holiday Allowance
- Free fruit delivered for office staff, free coffee and tea
- Cafeteria Benefit – wellness programme, cinema tickets, Multisport card etc.
- Possibility of working from home
- Medical: Employee cover + opportunity to buy additional cover for family
- Employee Assistance Program for employee and dependents
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.