- Software Engineering and Connectivity
- Bristol, Hullavington - United Kingdom
There are 5 app teams, located in the UK and Singapore, each with up to 6 mobile developers and 3 test automation engineers, plus a scrum master and product owner. We all come from a variety of educational backgrounds and experience levels; not all of us are computer science graduates. We believe that teams composed of people from diverse backgrounds are more successful and innovative.
Our teams have the autonomy to manage their own work using Scrum or Kanban frameworks, each honing their ways of working through regular retrospectives and knowledge sharing. We all share a commitment to creating high-quality code, and engineers choose to follow practices such as pair programming, mobbing, and test-driven development. We also regularly share our knowledge and interests peer-to-peer through ‘community meetings’, which have led to the adoption of new technologies and improved cross-team collaboration.
We often need to interact with people from different parts of the business, such as embedded software and the cloud teams, so we plan in 5-sprint ‘increments’, based on the best bits of the Scaled Agile Framework. This gives us more visibility of upcoming work while remaining responsive, and allows us to collaborate effectively with other teams within our 11,000-person organisation. Mutual trust and respect between team members is important to build a supportive environment where people can do their best work. Our teams understand themselves well enough to make decisions about how they work; everyone’s contribution is vital.
Besides being software professionals, we are also people who enjoy playing online or board games, heading out to lunchtime yoga classes, recording our latest run on Strava or just catching up over coffee. The last year has been a challenge, but we have maintained and strengthened our culture while working through the various lockdowns with virtual events, an informal team newsletter and an empathetic attitude to the needs of individuals.
About the roleWe are on the lookout for Test Engineers to join our mobile app team at Dyson. Communication, collaboration, self-evaluation and a desire to improve are second nature to you, and you value good engineering practises. You understand the need to deliver robust, testable code balanced against the need to deliver fast.
Our Tech Android:We write our unit tests with JUnit, Robolectric and Mockito, and our UI tests are written in Kotlin using the Espresso framework with Kakao. iOS:Unit tests are written with XCTest and RxTest, and we write our automated UI tests in Swift using XCUITest.
We also have a handful of cross platform appium tests written in ruby, but we are migrating away from these in favour of XCUITest and Espresso.
Unit and UI tests are written as part of each story to ensure we maintain an up to date and comprehensive set of automated tests with no test debt. We complement our automated tests with exploratory testing, involving both developers and testers in order to uncover issues quickly.
What you’ll be doing
- Working with your fellow engineers to contribute to features and improvements to our Dyson Link app, ensuring they are tested, robust and scalable
- Working with colleagues from other disciplines, including developers, product owners, Scrum Masters, UX/UI designers, and software engineers in our cloud and embedded teams
- Sharing knowledge within the app team to develop your skills and competencies and those of your teammates
- Identifying new technologies, tools and approaches to help continually improve standards and quality
- Writing UI automation tests
- Coordinating exploratory testing sessions
- Monitoring and prioritising bugs
- Keeping the scrum team focused on a quality first mindset
- You’re interested in how technology can improve the environments people live in
- You’re a collaborative person that believes in the Agile principles and how they can help empowered teams deliver the best software
- You’ve contributed quality UI test code to commercial projects
- You’re passionate about learning new things and sharing those things with others
- You embrace change and can be flexible in your approach to problems
Benefits27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidaysPension schemePerformance related bonusPrivate medical insuranceLife assuranceSubsidised café and restaurantsDiscounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.