- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Bristol Office
We own and develop the MyDyson Smart home app (more info here), which is at the forefront of Dyson's IoT experience. We are proud of what we have built so far; we have an App Store and Google Play rating of 4.5 and 4.3 stars respectively, we have more than 4 million active users and connected Dyson machines worldwide. We have huge ambition to grow this platform and as we connect more machines from more categories the challenge is significant.
We currently have 8 app teams, located in the UK, Poland and Singapore, each with up to 6 mobile developers and 2 test automation engineers, plus a Scrum Master and Technical Product Owner. We all come from a variety of educational backgrounds and experience levels; not all of us are computer science graduates. We believe that teams composed of people from diverse backgrounds are more successful and innovative.
Our teams have the autonomy to manage their own work using Scrum or Kanban frameworks, each honing their ways of working through regular retrospectives and knowledge sharing. We all share a commitment to creating a challenging, though-provoking and satisfying environment to work in, delivering high quality output at a sustainable pace. We also regularly share our knowledge and interests peer-to-peer through Team Talks, Communities of Practice, Sprint demos and Agile Forums which has led to improved cross-team collaboration and understanding.
We often need to interact with people from different parts of the business, such as embedded software and the cloud teams, so we plan in 5-sprint ‘increments’, based on the best bits of the Scaled Agile Framework. This gives us more visibility of upcoming work while remaining responsive, and allows us to collaborate effectively with other teams within our 11,000-person organisation.
Mutual trust and respect between team members is important to build a supportive environment where people can do their best work. Our teams understand themselves well enough to make decisions about how they work; everyone’s contribution is vital.
Besides being agile and software professionals, we are also people who enjoy playing online or board games, heading out to lunchtime yoga classes, recording our latest run on Strava or just catching up over coffee. The last year has been a challenge, but we have maintained and strengthened our culture while working through the various lockdowns with virtual events, an informal team newsletter and an empathetic attitude to the needs of individuals.
About the role
We are on the lookout for an experienced Technical Product Manager to join our mobile app team at Dyson. You appreciate the need to deliver app features and functionality that delight our customers whilst meeting our business objectives using technology which will meet the demands placed on it.
You'll be great at:
- Liaising with the Product Design Manager to agree app feature priorities and scope
- Working with the technical architects to consider the software needs to support solutions, existing constraints, new enabling technologies and technical debt considerations
- Collaborating with the App Senior Product Manager, to define the product backlog, sequence of delivery, assess high level resource requirements for delivery and prepare for increment planning
- Working closely with the Product Owners to help define the incremental backlog
- Maintaining communication with key stakeholders regarding progress, change requests and risks
- Linking up with Product Managers on the other Software Release Trains (cloud, embedded software and robot) to agree end to end delivery and integration considerations
- Helping to create a meaningful partnership with the Release Train Engineer to nurture motivated, effective teams
- Being an active member of the App Product Owner and Manager community including attending and contributing to CoPs, in order to encourage debate on a variety of topics, practices and ideas
- You are a Product Manager with an in-depth technical understanding (preferably in the app arena), and able to quickly pick-up new concepts and be comfortable with portraying technical information
- You are enthusiastic and energetic and looking for a new challenge in an agile-friendly, encouraging and collaborative environment
- You’re interested in how technology can improve the environments people live in
- You’re a collaborative person that believes in the Agile principles and how they can help empowered teams deliver the best software
- You’re passionate about learning new things and sharing those things with others
- You get satisfaction from solving real-world problems with well-crafted software
Benefits and lifestyle -
- Performance related bonus
- Company paid Life Insurance
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Competitive pension scheme
- Flexible benefits programme with a growing range of voluntary benefits, including the ability to purchase additional holidays
- 27 days holiday plus statutory bank holidays
- Secure bike parking / Cycle to work scheme
- Free lunch
- Private Medical insurance for all employees
- Employee Assistance Program for employee and dependents
- Digital GP and prescription service
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.