- Design and Development
- Poland - Krakow Office
We own and develop the MyDyson Smart home app (more info here), which is at the forefront of Dyson's IoT experience. We are super proud of what we have built so far; we have an App Store and Google Play rating of 4.5 and 4.3 stars respectively, we have more than 5 million active users and connected Dyson machines worldwide. We have huge ambition to grow this platform and as we connect more machines from more categories the challenge is significant.
There are 8 app teams, located in the UK, Singapore and Poland, each with up to 6 mobile developers and 2 test automation engineers, plus a Scrum Master and Product Owner. We all come from a variety of educational backgrounds and experience levels; not all of us are computer science graduates. We believe that teams composed of people from diverse backgrounds are more successful and innovative.
Our teams have the autonomy to manage their own work using Scrum or Kanban frameworks, each honing their ways of working through regular retrospectives and knowledge sharing. We all share a commitment to creating a challenging, though-provoking and satisfying environment to work in, delivering high quality output at a sustainable pace. We also regularly share our knowledge and interests peer-to-peer through Team Talks, Communities of Practice, Sprint demos and Agile Forums which has led to improved cross-team collaboration and understanding.
We often need to interact with people from different parts of the business, such as embedded software and the cloud teams, so we plan in 5-sprint ‘increments’, based on the best bits of the Scaled Agile Framework. This gives us more visibility of upcoming work while remaining responsive, and allows us to collaborate effectively with other teams within our 11,000-person organisation.
Mutual trust and respect between team members is important to build a supportive environment where people can do their best work. Our teams understand themselves well enough to make decisions about how they work; everyone’s contribution is vital.
Besides being agile and software professionals, we are also people who enjoy playing online or board games, heading out to lunchtime yoga classes, recording our latest run on Strava or just catching up over coffee. The last year has been a challenge, but we have maintained and strengthened our culture while working through the various lockdowns with virtual events, an informal team newsletter and an empathetic attitude to the needs of individuals.
About the role
We are on the lookout for experienced Product Owners to join our mobile app team at Dyson. You appreciate the need to deliver robust, testable code balanced against the need to deliver fast.
What you’ll be doing if you join us:
- Working with one or two teams, delivering features and improvements to our MyDyson app, ensuring they are tested, robust and scalable
- Defining stories and priorities for the sprint backlog
- Working closely with the Product Manager to define the incremental backlog and prepare for increment planning
- Helping to create a meaningful partnership with the Scrum Master to nurture motivated, effective teams
- Liaising with colleagues from other Agile Release Trains (Cloud, Embedded Software etc.) to identify dependencies and share new ideas and ways of working
- Sharing knowledge within the app team to develop your skills and competencies and those of your teammates
- Being an active member of the Dyson Product Owner community including attending and contributing to CoPs, in order to encourage debate on a variety of topics, practices and ideas
- Using data to help guide next steps based on data insights
- Product Owner with an in-depth technical understanding (preferably in the app arena), and able to quickly pick-up new concepts and be comfortable with portraying technical information
- Enthusiastic and energetic and looking for a new challenge in an agile-friendly, encouraging and collaborative environment
- Interested in how technology can improve the environments people live in
- You’re a collaborative person that believes in the Agile principles and how they can help empowered teams deliver the best software
- Passionate about learning new things and sharing those things with others
- You get satisfaction from solving real-world problems with well-crafted software
Performance related bonus
Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
Discounts on Dyson machines
Pension scheme with competitive employer contributions
Free fruit delivered for office staff, free coffee and tea
Cafeteria Benefit – wellness programme, cinema tickets, Multisport card etc.
Possibility of working from home
Medical: Employee cover + opportunity to buy additional cover for family
Employee Assistance Program for employee and dependents
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.