- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
At Dyson we are obsessed with continuously making things better, pushing the boundaries of what others have defined as impossible. We do this by making products that solve real-world problems using both novel and established technologies in new and innovative ways.
Our Verification and Test Team plays an integral part in determining how, when, and where we verify and validate innovative technologies and products to ensure designs are robust to real-world conditions and perform better than the competition. While our primary function is to verify requirements, at the early stages of a project we add value by characterising the performance of prototypes and feeding back data to drive good design.
We're committed to our campus culture and don’t look to offer a regular hybrid working arrangement. This helps us to achieve the spirit of Dyson – collaboration, creativity, and inventiveness – in our inspiring, social, and dynamic workspaces.
About the role
As our Test Development Engineer, you will play a crucial role in supporting the testing and verification of our innovative products developed within the Research, Design, and Development (RDD) department. Future products often feature novel design concepts and new technologies, necessitating ingenious methods to assess their performance and robustness.
Your primary focus will be on developing new test methods throughout the design cycle, ensuring our capabilities align with evolving product requirements. You'll actively contribute to the creation and execution of experimental, ad-hoc testing for early prototypes, providing valuable data to influence optimal design decisions. Expertise in robust testing practices, along with the deployment of automation, control, sensing, and data acquisition solutions, will be integral to your success in this role.
Responsibilities include the development of high-quality test method documents, definition of necessary equipment and setup, application of statistical tools to showcase method capability, and adherence to governance processes. You'll plan and execute experimental testing, swiftly creating ad-hoc setups for investigative tests. Employing appropriate statistical techniques, you'll analyse test data to draw robust conclusions about our product designs and generate comprehensive test reports.
Additionally, you will conduct task-based risk assessments for test activities, ensuring safety standards are upheld. Collaboration with partner teams to specify, design, build, or outsource complex and bespoke test equipment is a key aspect of the role. Finally, your ability to present test results to stakeholders through clear data visualisation will contribute to effective communication across different areas of the business.
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mechatronics, or related field, or equivalent experience
- Proficient in physical product testing, experiment design, and data acquisition
- Skilled in technical document writing
- Enthusiastic about up-skilling in emerging technologies (e.g., machine vision, image analysis, machine learning, and AI)
- Desirable experience in CAD, fluid- and thermo-dynamics, PLC, Matlab, Python, robotic arms, and statistical techniques (measurement system analysis, hypothesis testing, reliability engineering)
- Comfortable with a high degree of ambiguity and enjoys solving unprecedented problems
- Performance-related bonus scheme
- Competitive pension scheme
- Life assurance
- Discounts on Dyson machines and retail purchases
- Free bus travel to and from campus (from Bristol, Bath, Chippenham, and Swindon)
- Generous holiday allowance of 27 days (plus bank holidays)
- Free on-site lunches, fruit, and hot drinks
- Access to on-site sports centre, gym, hair salon, and lifestyle assistance
- Electric vehicle salary sacrifice scheme
- Option to purchase additional holiday days
- Private medical insurance and dental insurance
- Employee assistance programme
- Digital GP services
- On-site physiotherapy and GP services
- Prescription service
- Fertility treatment support
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.