- Design and Development
- Malaysia - Development Centre
Dyson began twenty one years ago with James Dyson and a handful of engineers questioning everyday products, thinking differently and making them better. We are now the world's number one vacuum cleaner manufacturer in the UK, US, Japan, Europe and Australasia.
We've even branched out to improving commercial technology that frustrates us. The Dyson Airblade hand dryer dries hands in ten seconds, it’s also the most hygienic and energy efficient hand dryer available. And more recently a fan, Air Multiplier, with no blades or grille.
About the role
Search is on for a creative, tech savvy Engineering Manager, to complement Dyson’s global efforts with Test Development and keep pace with Dyson’s ambitions to grow both product range and product categories in the coming years,
The right candidate will oversee development of test methodologies designed and developed to stress test new product designs, fulfilling desires to ensure delivery of robust and quality products to consumers.
To do so, the candidate must be self-directed, comfortable with working across development teams, variety of product offerings and be unafraid of getting their hands dirty.
Accountabilities / Responsibilities
Our Test Development Manager will drive the Test and Verification strategy, taking output from Design Engineers, Engineering SMEs. Our contributions will span the product lifecycle through development to start of mass production.
They do this through:
- Early engagement upstream of product innovation phases in order to influence technology and test strategies, enhancing test detection for downstream market quality
- Interrogation of design specifications with a view to formulate test procedure(s) and acceptance criteria, required for development of robust and efficient product verification strategies.
- Guide engineers in the design and development of test prototype jigs and fixtures / test apparatus, for a variety of technical disciplines, using analysis / simulation tools, CAD, investigative processes, etc, in support of method development.
- Assessing also, that developed processes met quality and safety compliance guidelines.
- Engineers in the use of statistical techniques, for qualification of test data and continuous improvement to gage performance, for developed test methods.
- Failure analysis processes and preparation test failure reports, ensuring their dissemination to appropriate Design Team(s) for investigation.
- Engineering resources, within a matric organization, to budgets and performance, developing test / test methodologies, in support of product range plans.
- Research and propose capital investments to build up on internal test capabilities
- Oversee strategies for the engagement of External Test Laboratories to support verification plans
- Ensure verification tests conform to international standards (IEC, ASTM, QB/T, etc).
- Collaboration with internal and external teams on post-development work, validating the effectiveness of design improvements / modifications and aligning on applicability of developed methods & equipment.
- Strategies for the improvement of efficiency and sustainability of test processes, with a view to reduce waste.
- Management of test data, ensuring traceability among test protocols / scripts, test reports/records.
- Professional development for the Team.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD in Degree in engineering, maths or science discipline
- 8-12 years’ experience in test development, project management and/or product verification of consumer electronic products are plus factors
- Demonstrable experience of leading an engineering function with a proven track record in strategic engineering leadership delivering effective engineering strategies, problem solving, policies, processes and systems
- Knowledge and technical understanding of engineering processes, components and design techniques
- Ability to work with data, guiding Engineers in the application of mathematical principles and/or statistical tools to report on test performance
- Strong commercial awareness with an interest in the wider Dyson business and industry.
- Clear & calm thinker with the ability to work within, or quickly adapt to, Dyson’s fast-paced and flexible culture.
- Multi-site, multi-country collaborative experience, with the ability to lead and/or mentor high-performing, diverse and multi-cultural team(s).
- Strong communication (written/verbal), interpersonal, and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to interact credibly at an Executive level and inspire confidence.
- Ability to work on multiple projects in various stages of maturity, simultaneously
Dyson Singapore monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and bonuses. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy a transport allowance and comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition.
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.