- Software Engineering and Connectivity
- Hullavington - United Kingdom
Dyson is growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.
We start with an engineering mindset and different thinking, then continuously refine our ideas, unwilling to compromise until we’ve found a better way.
Our new product teams take radical new ideas and develop them into reality. They explore the limits of our technology and optimise it through relentless experimenting, testing and iterating.
The HMI team sits within the wider Product Experience Design function with focus on the next generation of Dyson products, which means we need to think beyond todays needs and wants from our users. The type of technologies, platforms and interfaces to design for are ever changing, and it’s our responsibility to research, explore and define innovative interactions between our machines and their users.
About the role
As a designer within our Product Experience Team, you will be focused on creating and designing how our users interact, understand, and configure their machines within the Dyson Link app. Our team is at the forefront of the design process which means a few things, firstly our designers need to be flexible. It’s our role to communicate to the business our approach to design and the importance of our design process during the ideation stage of our new products. Secondly, it’s to ensure we are user champions, everything we do should make the experience of using our machine better. Whether it be better understood, easier to use, enable discovery of Dyson technologies or simplify the complex within.
You will be designing for our next generation of Dyson products, which means we need to think beyond todays needs and wants from our users. The type of technologies, platforms, and interfaces to design for are ever changing, and it’s our responsibility is to research, explore and define innovative interactions between our machines and their users.
Our Product Experience Team members have a wide range and type of experience in on-product, physical interaction methods and control. What we need now is to grow our UX/UI offering as we focus on the importance of connectivity when controlling our machines.
- Distill user research, insights, and good design practice to create our connected product features for future Dyson machines.
- Sketch solutions, build rapid prototypes, test your ideas, and refine your designs with data and user feedback during the design process.
- Be curious, empathetic, and proactive to deliver innovative app experiences through the latest technologies and within our Dyson Link platform.
- Help evolve and reimagine the pre-existing Dyson Link platform and connected platforms.
- Identifying opportunities to address our users pain points, problems and identify opportunities through well designed connected features.
- Be excited to immerse yourself into new topics/projects and technologies and to work with information to connect the dots to form your hypotheses.
- Work alongside our visual designers and developers to ensure that the UI design direction is in line with the proposed connected product experience.
- Understanding tech limitations, development constraints and knowing where to push vs. where to adapt solutions to be more pragmatic and deliverable
- Identify the key metrics for the projects you are involved in and take ownership for achieving success, constantly validating and refining.
- Skills in journey mapping, user flows, wireframing, rapid prototyping and visual design skills.
- The ability to think beyond what exists today - pushing the boundaries of our products/app experiences.
- Solid foundations in app design and looking for a challenging next step in their career.
- Interest in design thinking, interaction design, usability, accessibility, and information design
- Experience designing for mobile apps, with up-to-date knowledge of UX/ Interaction Design patterns for iOS and Android. Also experience working across digital channels, including fixed-web and tablet too.
- Can work independently, prioritize tasks and work effectively on several projects simultaneously.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritise time between multiple projects, and be flexible by adapting to changing schedules and different projects
- Strong written and oral communication skills, and the ability to communicate our design direction and best practices in a clear, compelling way to sky design stakeholders across the business.
- Excited about immersing themselves into new topics, able to work with a lot of information to connect the dots and form hypotheses.
- Proficiency with industry standard design & business tools such as; Sketch, Framer, Adobe CC, Flinto, Figma, to name a few.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.