- Research Engineering
- Hullavington, Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Research, Design and Development (RDD) is Dyson's engine room. It’s where our engineers challenge convention, build, test, fail, refine, and then fail again. Identifying a problem is the easy part. The clever bit is building the core technologies to solve it. Our research and testing enables us to pioneer new technology by continuously improving and developing our machines. The team is hands-on and integrated, which means you’ll be fully involved in the development process.
At our UK Technology Campus, we have opportunities for 3, 6 and 12-month internships starting in the summer of 2021 (3 months) and September 2021 (12 months), for penultimate year students who are eager to play a key part in bringing the next generation of Dyson technology to the world.
About the role
Join us as an intern and from day one you’ll be expected to hit the ground running on one of Dyson’s many live projects, and the chance to have a meaningful impact on the evolution of Dyson technology. You’ll be working as part of a larger project team and have your own set of project deliverables and the chance to take ownership of how these are achieved.
In a team who are always seeking new technologies and methods to make future Dyson technology possible, you’ll need to be highly motivated, creative, methodical and flexible in order to take on challenges with a pragmatic approach and inquisitive scientific mind.
Some of your tasks could include:
- Designing and building experimental rigs to investigate new technologies
- Analysis and interpretation of experimental data
- Collaborating with technology suppliers
- Combining experimental testing with analytical modelling to produce a design guides for a new technologies
- Representing the Research team when presenting your work to Directors for review
You’ll generate innovative concepts based on scientific theory through experimental test and simulation – designing, building and testing prototypes, before analysing performance and communicating findings. Working with engineers, scientists and technical experts across a broad range of disciplines, you’ll be comfortable learning from others, but also sharing your own knowledge, ideas and opinions. In fact, we encourage this.
For the duration of your internship or placement, you will have regular performance conversations as well as opportunities for development to enable you to build your reputation within the team, and this could be just the start. We’ll be looking to offer our high performing interns to return on our graduate programme.
Our internships are competitive and delivering the next generation of Dyson technology is tough, so you’ll need to be:
- On track for a 2:1 or above in a relevant Engineering or Science discipline, but with an interest in technical science, engineering or product development.
- Able to evidence how you have applied your technical knowledge to solve problems, either through your university projects or as part of your extra-curricular activities.
- Happy to build your own networks to learn from the technical expertise around you.
- Passionate about Dyson and our technology to help us meet our ambitious future plans.
- Creative in your approach to problem solving to ensure our machines are better.
•27 days holiday plus bank holidays
•Performance related bonus and joining bonus
•Free on-site gym and sports centre
•Subsidised café and restaurants
•Discounts on Dyson machines
•Free on-site parking
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.