- Design and Development
- Philippines - Advanced Manufacturing Office
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re driven by progress and thrive on the challenge of relentless improvement. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.
Our scale and rapid growth make Dyson rich in new opportunities. We value new ideas and diverse perspectives, so our people are trusted with real work and responsibility from the outset. You’ll develop fast and have the chance to move into different business areas and regions. And you’ll be part of a global network of like-minded people – a community that supports and learns from each other.
Power Systems is a global function that designs and develops Dyson’s internal technologies that enable most of our products. The team has experts in wide range of areas (mechanical, electrical, software, project management) and is responsible of the development from early stages through to production.
Mechanical Design team within Power Systems is responsible for mechanical design, build process, sample building, analysis, and experimental validation and verification of mechanical robustness and reliability of the technology project.
About the role
The position will be part of the Build & Test group responsible for the build and validation of Dyson Hyperdymium™ motors, the heart of Dyson machines. The candidate will work with engineers and scientists on multiple motor R&D projects. The role responsibilities will cover the following areas:
- Prepare and update Verification matrix based on Dyson Motor Requirements.
- Ensure tests are carried out as per Dyson Test Method (DTM) or as per relevant industry standards (IEC, ISO, ASTM, etc.).
- Design and develop test systems inclusive of simple holding jigs up to automated test system.
- Advise relevant departments/teams on the test requirements and counter measures.
- Perform GR&R and other relevant commissioning activities for new and existing test systems.
- Review and analyse verification results and create high quality technical reports.
- Ensure failures are captured during the verification and initiate steps for reporting and corrective actions.
- Support failure analysis, failure mechanism and root cause identification, and work with other teams (electronics team, quality team, engineering team etc.,) on design change, process improvement, quality control and corrective action implementation.
- Mentor technicians on test methods and setup.
- Plan and manage build equipment and processes for new motor development projects.
- Liaise with external suppliers on test rigs and build equipment fabrication/issues.
- Maintain the rigs and equipment in the lab ensuring calibration requirements, adequate storage and keeping in good condition.
- Enforce health & safety regulations in assigned areas of responsibility, always maintaining good housekeeping in the labs and test facilities.
- Carry out periodical safety audits and create safety awareness among team members.
- At least a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/Electronics engineering or other related engineering fields with 1-2 years of experience under the same capacity.
- Experience on measurement hardware and software for data acquisition, such as Arduino /Microcontrollers, MATLAB, PLC, TestStand and LabVIEW are preferred.
- Solid knowledge and experience in using statistical analysis in faults and performance assessment.
- Ability to conduct Life Data Analysis using Minitab or Weibull statistical software is preferred.
- Strong written & verbal communication skills. Ability to clearly, concisely & confidently present & articulate ideas to larger peer group, often cross-category. Proficient in communicating ideas & concepts.
- Developing ability to tailor communication to suit different levels & persuade/influence others as needed. Ability to receive constructive feedback and coaching and respond appropriately. Able to provide constructive feedback.
- Must have strong willingness to learn new things and challenge the existing test methods to ensure that it is robust and accurate
- Exposure to working in a cross cultural and international team would be advantageous.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize key activities according to project deliveries.
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.