- Operational Engineering
- Singapore - Advanced Manufacturing
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re driven by progress and thrive on the challenge of relentless improvement.
Our Energy Storage team is responsible for new battery technology that will deliver significantly better performance than conventional battery cells.
About the role
The Associate/Principal Engineer is responsible for delivering complex solution and process using his/her deep engineering expertise and knowledge that aligned with the business direction for the new proprietary Li-Ion Battery
Assembly Process. For this role, the identified candidate is expected to collaborate and participate actively with RDD (Research, Design and Development) team to resolve technical challenges from existing Separator prototype line and translate findings from prototype line into a scalable automated high volume production line. This may involve planning, conducting engineering experiment, data analysis, reporting and creating production-scale equipment/process technical specification.
In additional the identified candidate is also expected to collaborate closely with other function such as Operations Engineering, OPM (Operation Project Management), Procurement, Quality, Finance, HSE (Health and Safety), Estate/Facilities team as well as various equipment/component suppliers to ensure new Equipment/Product/Process are successfully setup with sufficient margin of capability required of a high-volume manufacturing environment at the targeted cost and within planned time frame.
In early stages of the project, the identified candidate will need to maximize equipment design flexibility, reduce technical risk, increase manufacturing process capability, and lower production costs; identified candidate will also be expected to identify future opportunities/benefits to manufacturing operations.
This role will be based in manufacturing facility to include support start-up of a new manufacturing facility within the country of Singapore. Travel may be required from time to time depending on business needs.
Accountabilities & key responsibilities in the following:
- Identifying business critical technical risks, planning engineering strategy, executing engineering experiment and data analysis to mitigate technical risks and ultimately deliver complex solution and process fit for separator mass production.
- Ensure resources including but not limited to manpower and materials are readily available to support timely and successful completion of projects.
- Articulate technical risks, project plan and report findings to key stakeholders with clarity and accuracy.
- Lead and hold tough conversions with internal and external parties to support problem solving.
- Managing and negotiating with suppliers to implement manufacturing solutions to support mass production.
- Writing engineering documents such as Technical Equipment Specification (TES), Factory Acceptance Test (FAT) and Site Acceptance Test (SAT), Risk assessment, Failure Mode & Effects Analysis (FMEA).
- Lead Factory Acceptance Test (FAT) and Site Acceptance Test (SAT) prior to handing over production line to operations in accordance with stabilised standards and putting all test data together into a review package for key stakeholders.
- Deploy engineering tools such as DMAIC, 8D, DOE, 5whys to troubleshoot process/equipment and process improvements.
- Provide expertise technical advice/guidance to cross-functional team.
- Bachelor’s Degree/Master/PhD in any engineering discipline preferably mechanical engineering, material engineering or other relevant fields.
- Possesses technical expertise and extensive knowledge for mixing, extrusion, roll-to-roll coating processes and engineering material.
- Strong background in Design for Manufacturing (DFM) methodology, step-by-step approach failure identification methodology (FMEA), engineering problem solving methodology (DMAIC, 8D, DOE), statistical process control and process capability / characterization methodology (Defect pareto, SPC, CpK, GR&R)
- >8 years of experience in battery manufacturing or exposure in high volume manufacturing organization preferably with high precision automated manufacturing exposure.
- >8 years of experience in new product transition to manufacturing and industrialization process involving concepts and feasibilities, pilot lines and manufacturing scale up validation testing.
- In-depth knowledge in capital manufacturing equipment design principle, metrology, testers, instrumentation, data analytics, PLC, automation scripting, and/or software would be an added advantage.
- Preferably skilled in data analysis tools such as JMP or Minitab
- Black belt in Six Sigma training would be an added advantage.
- Understanding of LEAN manufacturing concepts and ability to implement these concepts.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc).
- Strong cross functional people and management experience in a fast-paced technology. environment, developing novel process and test methods.
- Knowledge on facility/utility hook-up and safety requirements to support setup of new production line or factory.
- Ability to deliver results under pressure and tight timelines and to effectively communicate at all levels within the organization.
- Willing to travel 10-30% time during new product transition and supplier engagement periods
Dyson Singapore monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and bonuses. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy a transport allowance and comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition. #LI-LT
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.