Overview – department:
The Technology Development department comprises of diverse groups of curious, world class engineering specialists. We are experts in our fields, and we ensure Dyson products are on the edge of what’s possible. The department encompasses specialist groups across different disciplines – Product Performance, Acoustics, Fluid Dynamics, Structural Dynamics, Materials. This role resides within the Simulation group, which lies in the fields of structural dynamics, mechanics of materials, vibration, thermal and flow.
• Perform static, dynamic, structural thermal- mechanical analysis.
• Minimal guidance on technical tasks.
• Drive design forward and ensure correct decisions are made at all stages of the design process through credible simulation methods.
• Able to pick up technical skills needed to resolve an issue through self-learning.
• Work collaboratively with Design Engineers through defining simulation/ experimental targets and adhering to the Dyson development process; Product Life Management (Specification, FMEA, FRACAS), Product Creation Framework and periodic status reporting.
• Ensure proper handover of projects with agreed deliverables, from UK to SEA, communicating well with project stakeholders.
• Proactive in assessing risks and problem solving impacting the product desired performance or customer satisfaction based on analytics data.
• Highlight risk in a clear and concise manner
• Plan and prioritise task within the project team
• Find the mitigations of issue(s) through systematic and thorough research/ measurement, present findings to the cross-functional team to drive towards timely and elegant solution.
• Drive technical excellence within organization, e.g. promoting best practices of designs for mechanical robustness, either through day to day work within the project or knowledge sharing sessions.
• Identify and develop new opportunities/ tools methods with the aim of enhancing the performance, reliability and time to market of Dyson products.
4. Career development:
• Take ownership of personal career development by setting out immediate and long term plan together with line manager.
• May manage development plan of discipline engineers. Coach discipline engineers as part of their development plan.
Education & Experience Required:
List out the required key experiences and job-specific knowledge
• Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace, Material Science and Engineering, Mechanics of Materials or equivalent, preferred applicants have a Master degree.
• 5 years of experience in mechanical product analysis & development, preferably in the consumer electrical appliance industry.
• Competent in the use and application of CAD/CAE tools (ANSYS, Moldflow, Abaqus or other similar analysis tool) in general.
• In-depth understanding of the principles and application of structural analysis (FEA) and/or plastic molding process analysis, modal/vibration analysis.
• In-depth understanding of the principles and application of solid mechanics and strength of material.
• Applied knowledge with structural optimization based on FEA automation and/or machine learning is welcomed
• Experience in hardware and software for measurement and data acquisition (e.g. B&K Pulse, strain gauge, MATLAB and Labview etc.) is preferred.
Technical and problem solving skills:
• Ability to analyse and solve problem using established approach.
• Demonstrate ability to provide independent viewpoints/argument to a problem.
• Ability to plan ahead and prioritise task, typically within a project.
• Able to identify technical risks within projects. Expected to suggest specific actions to mitigate risks. Able to contribute in FMEA sessions.
• Demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills in English.
• Ability to receive constructive feedback and coaching, and respond appropriately. Able to coach less experienced engineers.
• Able to communicate ideas and concepts clearly.
• Ability to interact, collaborate with team members.
• Passionate about FEA automation and analytics
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.